Restore factory settings

Solved/Closed
danielle :) - Oct 17, 2008 at 04:25 PM
 chickenjones44 - Jan 27, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Hello, I have a compaq laptop/notbook with windows vista home premium installedon it. Does anyone know how I can restore my laptop to factory settings so it will be the same as when I 1st bought it?

Any help would be great

Thankies
Related:

50 responses

when you restore your computer beacuse it had a virus how do you make everything smaller
I have A Compau CQ250 and I bough it used and I want to restart the whole system from windows vista. how can I do that without having to buy a disk?
hey I want to do the same thing! mine is a compaq presario f500 can anyone help me either??? plz
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Oct 18, 2008 at 04:59 PM
Hi,
What is your OS ?
danbar > aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024
Nov 12, 2008 at 10:59 PM
1 Turn on the computer.

2 As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

Note:
You must press <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

3 Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.

4 Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5 Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6 Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

7 In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

8 Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.

9 Click Next.
The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

10 When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.
julie > danbar
Dec 17, 2008 at 04:23 PM
does this work on an old dell computer to recover to factory settings?
kenny > julie
Dec 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM
hi if ur computer is after 2004 u will have pc restore option..... keep in touch ... bye
ivacone > danbar
Jan 25, 2009 at 08:56 AM
does this work for any others besides dell
Once you restore it will it erase what is already saved on the computer? I have hp vista and I want to restore my audio card. Any ideas/
rustytinker6969
Mar 26, 2009 at 07:01 PM
it will reset to just factory settings that came on the computer ?
If it's just your audio that has run amuck, DO NOT USE RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS. Try this: uninstall the driver for your audio card. You can do this in by going to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Hardwarel, Device Manager, Sounds etc. Your audio card should be listed there. Uninstall it. Reboot and the computer should automatically re-install the driver. And this should correct your problem.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
did you find out how I to restore to factory settings did not see any answers
Are you kidding me??? When you load up your computer on the logo sreen of your company that made it (HP or dell) Press F11 or something it will allow you to restore it. But you will lose all your previous file unless you back it up.
Spook433 Posts 17 Registration date Tuesday November 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2008 3 > colin22
Nov 29, 2008 at 08:35 PM
Yes, but on the prompts you get an option if you want to back up your files do it before you restore your factory setting. I have done this and it works fine. I just copied my files to an external hard drive, did a full factory restore and re copied my files back to my computer. It can take a while, but its worth it.
Spook433 Posts 17 Registration date Tuesday November 11, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2008 3
Nov 15, 2008 at 07:48 AM
I dont know if this will help anyone, I have the HP Pavillion dv6000 with windows vista. To restore to factory settings when you hit the start button the first screen that appears has the HP Symbol in the center of the screen. When this appears hit the F11 key. Then follow the on screen instructions. It will offer you to either restore to last saved point or to restore to factory settings. There are a few other options offered, like do you want to back up you files etc.

I hope this helps.
help me plz! I have hp pavilion 360n that suposed to be XP but my sis installed vista on it! I dont have any restore disks so dont ask. but when I hit F11 at startup I get a completely odd menu that tells me about the hardware and such on the computer nothing about restoring or repair. If I click F8 I go to advanced boot options but there is NO repair your computer option or anything like it. Ive clicked on lots of things but nothing does a restore D: I really need to wipe this computer clean and back to XP. Plz somebody HELP ME!!! :(
I have a DV6500 and I hit the F11 an it does not take me to the Restore section. Do you know what the problem may be.
f11 does not help at all
model 5920 . I want factory setting.
for windows vista factory restore: power on the computer and press F8 kry right as the dell screen appears,and then hit enter on "repair computer" then on dell factory image restore> that will help you out
hey man .i installed the partition magic on my pc ,when I loads it ask me to fix some error in the hard and I press ok.then I dont know what happens:s the windows restarts and I tried to do dell factory image restore but I got an error I can restore anything
a friend > minazih
Dec 31, 2008 at 09:33 AM
first and foremost remove partition magic,and any anti-virus on computer.save any thing of importance on a disc.disconnect from internet.reboot computer when it arrives at www. dell.com press cyl and f11 at same time.will take you to system restore,original factory settings.click restore and ur on ur way
sernewein > a friend
Aug 13, 2009 at 01:01 PM
Ok So I want to reset my computer but I have alot of music/movies/ and pictures I wanna save all of this how do I go about saving all my pics and music and movies without losing them?
a friend > minazih
Dec 31, 2008 at 09:36 AM
sry thats ctl and f11 at same time
dell factory image restore...
Where the hell is that? You are giving out of the bloom instructions here which in my case are a very useless waste of space.

What is "dell factory image restore" and how do I get to it?
hello. I wasnt sure how to get a message on here about restoring computers, but I dont have a dell. I have a sony vaio, and I think this is the model: VGN-N320E
my computer is a complete mess. somehow, the program directx9 was deleted, and I even went to microsoft to download it, yet I still cant run the program that needs it. it tells me "failed to enumerate any DirectX 9 compatible graphics adapters in this system! and it aborts my program. a bunch of stuff 'magically' disappears on my computer, and my sony vaio doenst even kno its a sony vaio. there are many things wrong with it, but I also would like to just totally restore/reboot/ start all over, and my laptop never came with discs. and if they did then those disappeared as well. cuz im pretty good at being organized and keeping track of things, and im pretty sure I would of rememberd getting disks with my computer.

i guess my question is, is it the same with a sony vaio as a dell, to press F8 b4 seeing the windows symbol to reboot/restore/start all over?? someone please let me know. my email is Email id removed for security
i really need help, my laptop is a complete mess!!
im very good with computers, but im not a total pro.
thanks.

-elise
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Dec 29, 2008 at 04:18 PM
Hello,
This article should help you : http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C460161
Best regards
if you need to restore the pc to the factory settings you can do it by restarting the pc, then pressing f10 several times... at the first screen hit enter, then on the other screen choose the option restore c drive and follow instructions... you can also have help contacting tech support 1-800-488-7669
Hi, I too was experiencing that problem with an old Sony Vaio VGN . here's how I fixed it, by a miracle, with no recovery disk.

turn on pc
hit f2 to enter bios,
enable boot from network
change boot priority, so nework is on top.
reboot, and hit f12 so it will attempt to boot from network
If you're as lucky as I was, you'll soon see an option to restore your computer to factory settings.
then just go through the wizard as you'd prefer to do it.

hope it works for many others out there too.
hey im looking to do the same thing as the standard system restore wont work...

Mines a HP Compaq R4000

Pleaaaase help :)

tel. Phone number removed for security
oH YEH SORRY ITS RUNNING wINDOWS xp
Flinty89 > Flinty89
Jan 4, 2009 at 06:43 AM
Hey,
>
> yeah thanks but this doesnt help me restore to factory ive tried =
> restoring to a previous point but it just doesnt work the computer =
> freezes up and this is in safe mode as well.... any ideas of how I do =
> this ??
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491 > Flinty89
Jan 4, 2009 at 06:50 AM
tenzin > Flinty89
Jan 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM
i ahve HP compaq.....my laptop keeps hanging..wen I turn on the laptop and enter the login id,,it comes up with the windows log and then immediately it freezes.....
orelse sometimes its fine but then wen im browsing the net,,,suddenly it freezes again ..leaving me with no other option rather than swwitchin goff the laptop inappropriately...
please advise something.ive already tried restoring the laptops..but it didnt work..thanks....
Tenzin
Jan 4, 2009 at 06:34 AM
Hi,
Look at this page of HP support website : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?rule=6080&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=453183
Best regards