Connected to wifi, but can't browse [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello,
I have an acer aspire one notebook bought in Norway, Oslo. It operates on Linux software. My problem is that it connects to the wireless at my university and picks up signal powerfully, its just that when I'm connected I cannot browse the internet. My browser is firefox and I am clueless on what could be the problem. Strangely it connects and browses when I connect to lan in the library. Hope that you can help me. Thank you
See more 

11 replies

Best answer
Thank you
I tried all the recommendations given here but not one worked ;(. Finally I tried uninstalling the network adapter and BEHOLD.. It worked! To do this you have to:
  • 1) Open Control Panel.
  • 2) Open "System".
  • 3) Open "Hardware".
  • 4) Open "Device Manager"
  • 5) Open "+ Networks Adapters".
  • 6) Right Click on "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter".
  • 7) Click "uninstall".
  • 8) Reboot your system, and the computer will reinstall the device as a new hardware found.

Hope this will help. It took me a while to figure it out.

Good luck.

Thank you, Eveluta 105

Glad we were able to help! Love us? Write us a review! Rate CCM

CCM has helped 2575 users this month

OMG OMG OMG I love you I worship you I can't beleive that it finally worked u are such a genius I love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu u are a goddess
Worked for me :)
thanks now i can brows with my laptop.. majid here in south africa
Many Thanks to you dear. This worked like magic. initially i tried changing registery and all ..but this works.
THIS PERSON IS A LIFESAVER. This laptop went through 20 solutions before the internet got fixed. This is the only one that permentally worked. Genuis, simple, effective. Thank you!!

-Brian
Thank you
I have an Aspire One ZG5 running XP, at my weekend house I have the problem that many have described, I lose the wireless connection after a few minutes. Interestingly, I don't have this issue in my primary home so apparently there are compatability issues that contribute to the issue. In my case the dropping of the internet connection definitely seemed to be related to the netbook hibernating.
The following very simple solution worked for me. I turned the network adapter power save mode to off and the problem stopped, here are the steps:
- click "Start"
- click "Control Panel"
- click "Classic View"
- doubleclick "System"
- select "Hardware" tab
- click "Device Manager" button
- click "+" to left of "network adapters"
- doubleclick "Atheros AR5007EG ...."
- click "Advanced" tab
- select "Power Save Mode"
- select "off"
- select "OK"
Nope. Sure didn't solve my issue. My system says I'm connected to the Internet but still unable to see a web page.
i did that Brian but my internet still will not work
Thank you soo much i fellowed your steps and my laptop is back to normal
Totally worked for me and I was ready to chuck this thing. Thanks!
mgk21
Registration date
Wednesday August 9, 2017
Last seen
August 9, 2017
-
Not only is my internet/wi-fi now working, but my computer is now running super fast, like a core i5 should. Wonderful. Thank you. I like Acer machines, but that is a stupid setting.
Thank you
access TCP/IP property.
Select "Obtain an IP Address Automatically".
Press OK
Try to browse
Hey there, thanks so much for that simple tip. It turned out my dad's EEE PC had manual TCP/IP settings put in, and when I set it to automatic, I was able to browse the internet again. I also think setting the wireless card's power save feature to "off" helped, but the TCP/IP thing was he last thing that needed fixing. Thanks a lot!
omg it worked. i've been tearing my hair out for a month! thanks so much. tcp/ip is the answer!!!!!
Thank you
I had the same issue and after spending WAY too long with Acer support insisting it was my ISP or router causing the problem and that the driver was up to date I found a new driver that Acer doesnt have on their site but the manufacturer does. Installed it and it works fine now. www.atheros.cz
Thank you
I had similar problem on THREE Aspire One computers...I found that if it is plugged into the power cable the internet works fine. Unplug it & oops...it stops working. It says it's connected but then it doesn't load, reset everything it thinks it's connected then drops....it's insane!

One of them we took over to a tech who said it was loaded with a virus. He removed it, charged her $35...it works now. But, we haven't tested it here today. If it works here on my wireless, we'll try to find out what exactly he did, if it doesn't, I'm going to sit in the floor & cry! haha

I'd love to know if anyone else has issues unplugged that correct themselves plugged in? Or is there some simple something I've overlooking? Please help!
Yes. My Acer Netbook connects to the Internet when plugged in but not when it is running on battery.
Thank you
I recently bought an Acer One Aspire netbook at Dick Smith in Brisbane, Australia and encountered with a similar problem, however I had just found a solution. At first when the wireless adapter on the netbook detected my router's connection, it asked for a wep key, which at the time, I did not know what it was so I typed whatever I thought it was. Ever since then, I was able to get the correct wep key, so I clicked on the connection found, and thought that a way to re enter the new wep key was to point at the found connection, and click what showed on the left hand side 'change advanced settings'. I clicked on the second tab (I think it was wireless connection), clicked on the original connection found, right clicked, and entered the new wep key in the fields found by clicking the 2nd tab on the connection. It worked; but only temporarily as the netbook would show a 'not connected' icon even though I was able to browse on the Internet, and the connection would drop out every 5 mins. A solution to this problem , is to click 'change advanced settings' on the wireless networks window, click on the 'wireless connection' tab, and remove your main connection's router. Then, refresh for a new list of available connections, click on the main connection again, and re enter the wep key NOW and you will find that not only the icon shows as 'connected', no more dropping out occurs, and the netbook connects automatically to the Internet whenever it is switched on; pretty much permanently =-) Hope this helped. I also recommend the previous posts on turning off adapter power save mode + getting your connection right as soon as you open your new acer aspire one netbook/re do everything if you had made attempts.
Thank you
OK... so here is what fixed this problem for me. After trying and trying the different options (i.e. ipconfig release, winsockfix, disabling wireless and enabling, uninstalling norton, etc.) I decided to change my wireless router security password. In my case I have a trendnet router and my laptop as well as other wireless devices had the network pre-configure and was showing as connected, but unable to browse. After changing the password and re-joining to the wireless network and entering the new password... it worked!

Good luck.
Thank you
I fixed mine, it is very easy...just go forget this network and then renew lease...and reconnect.... here is the link

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398
Thank you
Hi all. I also had access to my router but no internet.....frustrating

SOLUTION (simple): install the latest driver for Atheros:

Wireless LAN_Atheros_7.6.1.221_XPx86_A

http://www.acer.nl/ac/nl/NL/content/drivers

Keep checking the latest drivers that will run on your OS.

Thanks everyone for all the previous posts, it helped me find the solution.
Thank you
Well, I found the problem. When I got the Acer, I opened it up without connecting it to my router. Since I couldn't get anyone from Acer I decided to reload everything from scratch again as if I never had done it before. This time, it was connected to my Verizon Wireless router. Voila, it worked I had internet service. The secret to success is to have it hooked to the wireless router when you open your brand new Acer Aspire One. Good luck, I 'm enjoying this baby since December 26th.
Thank you
I did just the same as salesmaster007. and worked fine. Still clueless as to wy it wont admit 1 password though. but at least now its working