Connect but can not access the internet? HELP

Solved
straight - Nov 4, 2008 at 10:43 PM
 squeaky - Dec 4, 2018 at 03:35 PM
Hello,

Windows XP Desktop is showing that its connected to the internet, but when I try to open internet explorer it says. Cannot Find Server. Page can not be displayed. How do I get it to connect? My laptop is wired to a router thats
connected to my desktop and the internet on there works fine. For some reason though just the internet on my Desktop does not work. I also hooked my internet directly to my laptop and it works fine. But still my desktop is showing the same thing. I recently tried to Install Windows Service Pack 3 and there was a problem. It said Access Denied then quit the Installation. Since then I am not able to access the Internet. Does anyone know how to fix this?

If so please let me know thanks.

Related:

43 responses

Had the same problem and just run the winsock fix and hey presto! internet back. Million thanks
Rob
Just want to say thanks...had the problem and totally forgot to check proxy settings - which were the issue.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 3, 2010 at 04:02 PM
Hi Chigago,

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Regards
I un-installed Trend Micro Security Pro, the browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) are working okay again. I think it must be virus definition that automatically installed yesterday (2/11/2010) because all my browsers were working okay last night. I re-installed the Trend Micro Security Pro back and it is downloaded all the virus definitions right now. If the issue re-occur, the problem must be the virus definition. I'll reply back to my post if the issue arises again.
If you are using an AMD processor the problem may be that you have Service Pack 3 installed on Windows XP. Uninstall it and this should solve your problem

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Connect the internet but system is reboot. But other Aplication working good.no reboot am facing internet sysstem is reboot plz help me
I was reading numerous sites on the issue and tried them all to no avail.

What ended up working was un-installing the norton 360 product and then both the IE and Firefox worked.

Scenario:
Brother in law says his new/used laptop can no long get to the internet using either IE or Firefox after his laptop had the blue screen of death.

Brought it to my house, I hooked it up and could see all of my other computers, my router, and I could nslookup www.msn.com and www.goolge.com fine.

So since it was both ie and firefox, I knew that it couldn't be just the setting in the browser, so it had to be firewall or something preventing just internet connectivity since other networking was working fine.

After looking at this blog site, uninstalling Norton 360 corrected the issue.

it was a free 2month trial anyhow :-)

Yaaaayyyyyyaa.
MARGAM ANJANNA
Apr 6, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Thanx,
Its working excellent.....
Hey - thanks SO MUCH for the posting. I downloaded the file you mentioned and it fixed my problem.
wow thnx a lot !! the utility u gave in that link worked for me too ! u are great man :)
thanx Md Vasiullah great keep up the good work.
le program winsockfix est magnifique
merci bcp
thanks a load mr.calm... it worked for me :)
Hey
yes it works... thnx...
but as u say its a virus... whats its name???
I had the simular problem. Desktop computer could not get IP address from the router automaticly (only shows limited or no connonectivity),or when I try to set up IP (gateway,DNS...) manualy from ISP manual it connects to the network but no internet access.
Some malware program mased up my registry and other crap in windows that are responsabile for connecting and windows won't connect.

Solution WinsockFix Utility worked for me and I am very happy and grateful for the help Md Vasiullah provided.

Thank U and keep up the good work
Downloaded the winsock file, ran it and voila, worked like a charm. Fixed both my desktop and the wifeys laptp. Many thanks
I had the same problem with my Dell laptop and I am a fulltime RVer and connect to many questionable networks so was not excited about helping me. I did get some help though and we uninstalled the wireless card and reinstalled it and things are working fine now!!
I have the same problem as above. Have tried to scan with ad-aware, spybot search and destroy and superanti-spyware. Have also run winsockxpfix but still cannot get onto the internet. The problem seems to be with the DNS. If I type in an I.P. address in my I.E. then it can go to the site but I cannot type in any web names.

What else can I do??
Hi there,

I don't know if this will work for you, but this worked for me. I tried all the options above on my Telkom mega105wr router. I went to network connections, right clicked on Local Area Connection, clicked on status, clicked on support tab, clicked repair. I was able to connect to the internet after that.

Hope this helps!

Tirachel - Cape Town, SA
DELORES Baltimore,MD > Tirachel
Jan 25, 2010 at 03:02 AM
Many thanks !!!!!!!!!!! It solved the glitch. I could not repair my IP address, it told me to contact the service provider. However by clicking on configure that worked out nicely!!!! Then I immediately click on Widows Update and a big smile crossed my face. Many thanks to you. That glitch had me frustrated for a long.........time? Top of the day to you!
distressed teacher > DELORES Baltimore,MD
Feb 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM
I had the same problem. But I can't figure out where you went to configure to try that for me. Can you help??
Right click on your internet icon and run diagnose and repair, if that does not work you can unplug your router, wait 8 secs plug it back in. If that does not work, reset the router by pressing the small button in the hole with a pen or whatever you can find that will fit and hold that down untill all lights light up then let go. Wait for it to re establish a connection.
Thanks, I have been trying to get the kids' laptop back on line for months. Read your post , downloaded the utility you recommended and was back online in less than 5 mins. Thanks for guys like you who are willing to share their knowledge. Thanks again.
Thanks you are the best it fixed everything!
@Pacman

Thanks. Lol. I saw the LAN settings on the bottom but I never would have looked there. Thanks for pointing out the possibility :)