Linksys wrt54g2 router problem

Closed
dina - Jun 6, 2010 at 04:10 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 6, 2010 at 07:44 PM
I have had my Lynksys router for a few years now and it has been fine, up until a week ago. Now none of the laptops in the house can connect to the internet. The desktop in my living room is fine, but not the laptops. Worked one day and the next it doesn't. I cannot call Lynksys because I am out of warranty and they want $30 to 'help' me with it. I have Time Warner Cable, the desktop computer has Vista, laptops have Windows 7, XP and Vista on them. I have tried calling TWC to have them help me and they did try but, they said that all on their end is fine and the signals seem to be ok....I reset the Router and the Modem and it am still unable to access the internet with the laptops. Please help me with this?

tx

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 6, 2010 at 07:44 PM
A neighbor may have added a router and is using the same channel and is overpowering your signal. I would log into the router as the admin user and change the default channel to one that appears to have few users in your area. You can view local wifi users by using the "site monitor" feature of your wireless card and select "all networks".

Check the web site for Linksys for instructions and default router password. You might need to connect a computer directly to the router (use a network cable) before you can change settings.

Good Luck