Windows XP Automatic updates not working

Solved/Closed
Yodi - Dec 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM
 Jay - Dec 20, 2013 at 02:28 PM
Hello,

My computer will not allow me to turn on the windows automatic updates. Part of the issue was that I found out that I had a virus so I was able to run full scan and got rid of the virus atleast I hope so.
There is a big x over the automatic updates shield. I tried going in under control panel and turn the updates on but it will not allow me to do so. Also, I went through the security center as well but the system will not allow me to change it from off to on. Can you explain why its doing this and tell me how to fix the problem?
Thanks,
Related:

12 responses

1 >GO ahead and rename the "software distribution" folder to "software distribution old" on the c drive. Path is C:\WINDOWS\
2 >Once rename the folder go to Automatic updates from the control panel and disable and enable the Automatic updates.
3 >Once it is done restart the computer the Automatic updates will start download.

Good luck.
After I fought the problem for MONTHS, Arun Soman's solution finally solved my problem. Definitely try this solution!

My computer wouldn't let me rename the C:\Windows\Software Distribution folder (due to the ReportingEvents.log file being in use) and so I created a new folder (named "Software Distribution NEW") and cut and pasted all of the files (except the ReportingEvents.log file) from \SoftwareDistribution into it.

Arun's little trick has very noticeably speeded up my Windows Explorer opening and other tasks on my computer.

Thanks Arun!
WinXPUser Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 12, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 12, 2012
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Arun, you saved my life. I have had nothing but trouble with Windows Update. I downloaded "Windows Fixit". It didn't fix it. My computer had slowed to a crawl. New software installation was a nightmare. I was getting conflicts with my video driver so my display reverted to 640x480. I had to use system restore repeatedly. Nothing was working. I then tried your magical solution and now Windows update is automatic and, so far, none of the other problems have returned. In addition my computer boot-up and program opening have speed-ed up dramatically. This was a great fix. Thanks