Acer Keyboard Won't Type [Solved/Closed]

Amandaluv31 - Dec 18, 2010 at 03:57 PM - Latest reply:  Person
- Aug 31, 2016 at 01:36 PM
Hello,
I have an Acer notebook. I will be typing along when suddenly the keyboard will just stop working. No matter what buttons I push, nothing will come up on the screen. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Obviously, this gets a little annoying when every five or ten minutes I have to save my work and restart because the keyboard decided to shut off. Is there anyway to fix it without restarting? Do I have a virus? Thanks in advance!

See more 

6 replies

Thank you
Thanks so much for replying so quickly! I did a scan and it said it didn't find anything. If it's a circuit or overheating problem then, what can I do to fix it? Thanks!
Ambucias 55106 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Dec 18, 2010 at 04:23 PM
Thank you
Greetings,

You have a laptop and your type of issue mostly occurs on laptops.

On this forum, I have found two sources for this type of issue:

1. Overheating

2. Circuit problem

Then again, rarely a keylogger virus. However, ensure it is not a virus before we look at the other possibilities.

Download, install and run Malwarebyte which you can find on this site:

http://ccm.net/download/download-105-malwarebyt es-anti-malware

Ensure you make an update.

Please request a FULL system scan, which may take from 20 minutes to hours. Do not interfere no matter how long in takes. The creators of Malwarebyte recommend that while the tool is running that you go do something else, such as watching a rerun of Gone with the Wind or read Tolstoy's War and Peace.

If Malwarebyte restarts your system, launch it again to finish the Full scan.

When the scan is completed, delete all items found.

Regards
I too have an Acer. Usually, I press Fn and F7 and it will work
Ambucias 55106 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Dec 19, 2010 at 04:39 AM
Thank you
You are welcome

Actually, the overheating hypothesis is the very last one to be checked as it is remote.

We should check if it's a system or keyboard problem.

Do you have another usb keyboard handy

If so:

Plug in a USB keyboard to your laptop,

just to check if it's a keyboard problem or a system problem,

If the USB keyboard, all keys working means there's a problem with your keyboard

You will have to replace to a new one

If the usb keyboard also causes a problem, we will look into the system.
so what do you mean by that? if the system is the problem, what should do ti fix it? I try usb key board still I need 5-8mints waiting for my keyboard to work for my log in.. please help.
Ambucias 55106 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - May 2, 2011 at 03:59 AM
Ara,
If you can type and caracters appear even late, it's not a keyboard problem.