Dell inspiron 6400 not starting

Solved/Closed
hanyelc Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday October 16, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 16, 2012 - Oct 16, 2012 at 02:46 AM
 gmcadam - Feb 12, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Hello,

I have just switched the hard disk of one of my inspiron laptop to another laptop, also an inspiron. However, I have encounter some problem.
"When you press the power button, If your laptop powers on, the lcd panel is pitch black blank screen, not even back light power, no dell startup screen, you hear the fan spin up, you hear the hard disk spin up, in this state one of the 3 LED lights blinks for 7 seconds (I think numeric keypad), and then if everything switches off silent. The only LED on after that would perhaps be the battery charging indicator. it could be a memory DIMM gone bad, If you have two dimms try one, then the other to confirm"
That is the description of the problem. When I go online, they suggest that my memory DIMM might be spoilt. May I ask, How then can I solve this problem? Is it a hardware problem whereby parts of the laptop needed to be changed or?
Thank you for your reply.

<config>Windows 7 / Chrome 22.0.1229.94</config

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Aug 18, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Hi Bal,

This thread was opened for Dell Inspiron 6400; do you have the same System Model? If yes, please try to run the computer with one memory module (RAM) at a time in each slot and check if there is any change. This will help you determine if one of the memory modules or one of the slots on the motherboard is bad. Also observe other symptoms such as beep codes or LED codes during the startup of the computer and add the same in your reply.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6