Change MAC admin password without the disk [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello,
i lost my disk and forgot the admin password so please can you tell me how to change admin password without the disk
See more 

5 replies

Best answer
Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
December 10, 2018
Thank you
You can try this:

But, it will create a new account and your old files will still not be accessible.

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X: Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
The Working solution for me was to create a new admin. You can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:
  • 1. Reboot
  • 2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s keys on newer Macs)
  • 3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
     mount -uw /      rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone      shutdown -h now     
  • 4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Apple stores wont reset it for you. Computer shops may charge you $50 to $200 trying to reinstall the Mac and failing at the end.

Thank you, xpcman 1819

Glad we were able to help! Love us? Write us a review! Rate CCM

CCM has helped 2608 users this month

i tried that but it didn't work!!!
moyamoy
Registration date
Sunday October 28, 2012
Last seen
October 28, 2012
-
works on my macbook pro, I am running OS X Mountain Lion. Thank you
moyamoy
Registration date
Sunday October 28, 2012
Last seen
October 28, 2012
-
works on my macbook pro,i am running Lion, thank you
Thank you, this works and was very helpful
Thanks it worked great.
Thank you
Make sure the you do not space in between the db/.Apple and use capital letters where they are in the code and it will work

# Reboot
# Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
# When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

* mount -uw /
* rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
* shutdown -h now

# After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you're good to go again!
How do you reboot it though?
-
Worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
any time I do the second line it keeps say no such File or Directory and I'm doing it right
I followed the instructions but 1the mac comes up with a chime and never boots completely..help
it created a new account, but it's still asking for the same password. It's using the same hint!
Thank you
It very simple.....
First you need to restart your computer and from there you boot up in Single User mode. Doing this will give you access the system to get Admin rights. Very important to include all spaces " /sbin/mount -uw /" . It should say something like it removed some files. now type " rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" . Finally type reboot
Thank so much mac i'v tried so many thing to fix this thing and couldn't this worked great thanks again
Thank you
You just need to:

1. Open up the finder

2. Find any one of your documents

3. Open it and change all the letters to either d or q

4. Now take a picture of any disc on Photo Booth and drag it into your document

5. Now press Shift-Command-Q and there it is!
Thank you
actually I have limited account and I want to change into administator account and I dont know the password can u solve this
I am in user level . I need change the administrater password
i need chenge my password
the CORRECTED TEXT worked like a charm!!!
Thank you XPCMAN!!! a million I tried a thousand other ways and sites in s mode and this was the only one that worked!!

-Jc

xpcman - Oct 10, 2009 8:27pm BST
corrected text

1.REBOOT
2. COMMAND & S (AFTER YOU HERE THE CHIME)
3.AFTER TEXT PROMPT ENTER IN THESE TERMINAL COMMANDS (PRESS ENTER AFTER EACH LINE)

mount -w /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

****make sure to use spaces and capital letters EXACTLY as shown in the terminal commands above****

IT will not WORK if you don't type it EXACTLY like this