Extracting Info from External Drive

Closed
Bombad_General Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday September 2, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 2, 2014 - Sep 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM
johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 - Sep 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Two weeks ago when my problem started, here was the situation, when connected to the TV, I had to have the TV (brand new LG smart) on for a few minutes before switching on my hard drive so that when I navigated within the folders of the drive it wouldn't be slow; if I turned them on at the same time or turn on the hard drive before the TV then it'd take at least 5 minutes to open any folder within the drive.

The surprise was that I could see all my shows and other media when it was connected to the TV, but when I tried to connect the drive to my PC (running Win7) the main folder of the drive would open allowing me access to all folders except for my television folder, when trying to open it it asked me to reformat and said that there's 0 bytes stored within the folder, which is of course not true.

I did the error-checking within the properties of the drive but had no luck, I tried to repair the disk through Advanced System Care but it always got stuck at the 64% mark.

My computer isn't the problem seeing as that I have two other externals and they aren't giving me trouble. The cable powering the drive isn't the problem since it works with others, and the USB cable isn't the problem because I've tried a different one as well. I thought about how the TV or my bluray player could be rewriting the drives configuration but that doesn't make sense since I've had other drives connected to them and neither have experienced these problems.

Now here's the kicker, yesterday afternoon my drive was working with the TV, when I came home later that evening and turned on the drive, it said there's no folders on the drive. I then plugged it into the bluray player and it's also saying empty but showing me that there's 1177243 MB / 1907726 MB taken up. When plugging into my PC the drive isn't showing up at all anymore and is asking me to reformat before being able to access it.

I've never seen a drive act like this before so I'm wondering how this problem started exactly so that I can prevent it in the future. Is it possible that the ext. hard drive had a virus?

If something I said isn't clear please let me know. Any suggestions on how I can at least extract the info onto another drive would be greatly appreciated.
Related:

1 response

johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 14
Sep 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM
if the drive is seen in win7 pc in "computer" right click on the drive and click properties/ click tools/ and click error checking tab.

the pc may need to reboot to do the error check what ever you do is wait till its done and the pc again is at the desktop.

other thought has the recorder format the tv partition format that is not compatible with windows format ntfs
recheck your tv manual setting on TV to find out what format it does record on.Being L.G.tv then it should record on ntfs partition

you should always plug in the usb connected drive first before you switch the tv on. same goes for pc