Not booting

Closed
osoro Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday May 19, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 19, 2015 - May 19, 2015 at 06:52 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - May 19, 2015 at 07:27 AM
my acer laptop windows 8 says "no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key" what do i do?

2 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
May 19, 2015 at 07:11 AM
Hello osoro,
It means that your hard disk is not detected!
Remove it and replace again..
If still problem exist try it with another pc and see whether it is detected there..
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
May 19, 2015 at 07:27 AM
Hi osoro,

In my experience this usually occurs after one of 4 things happens:
- virus activity
- hard drive corruption
- Hard Drive breakdown
- bad shutdown proceedure

The first test would be to get a bootable DVD of an operating system (eg a linux live booting DVD downloadable from the Internet for free) and see if you can see any files on the hard drive at all. Alternatively you could remove the drive from the machine and install it as an external or secoandary drive on another machine [BUT MAKE SURE IS HAS AN UP TO DATE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM ON IT!] and see if you can see any data on it. If you can see data then the hard drive is probably working and has just lost tha ability to boot. If you can see files do a full antivirus scan on it and return it to the original machine and see if it boots.

If it has files but still wont boot then try an in place upgrade/recovery of your operating system using the DVDs that either came with the machine (if your lucky) or the ones you created when you got the machine (I hope you read the instruction manual that told you to make these DVDs before you used the machine too much ... AND made them). Choose the option to keep your data during the install. This should repair the boot option.

If no files are viewable then it is worth trying a full reinstall where it is returned to factory settings. It should warn you that all your data will be lost, but if your doing this option then you cant see it anyway.

If the step above doesnt work then it is likely that the drive is broken and needs replacement. When the drive is replaced then reinstall using the recovery DVDs.

Has the laptop recieved a sudden jolt? I have seen this once and the drive was not secured in the case as it should have been. All that was needed was the drive re-seating (and secured propperly).

Good luck.

Let me know how you get on.