Passport woes

Closed
ibrooks Posts 1 Registration date Thursday May 28, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 28, 2015 - May 28, 2015 at 09:42 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jun 1, 2015 at 05:31 AM
Good evening.
I have a WD 1 TB Passport. I use it to watch movies on my Surface 2 mostly when I travel ( a couple times a year). I plug it in and got the musical chime that it was plugged in, but file manager doesn't recognize it. I lights up and I hear/feel a motor running, nothing shows up. If I go to device manager, it shows and says it's working properly. Even when I click in the right corner to eject it, the icon shows and notifies me when its okay to eject.

How can I fix this? I've tried it on more than one device, also.

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
May 29, 2015 at 02:46 AM
Hi ibrooks,

Can you see the device in Disk Management? Check if it has a file format and a drive letter. If it is detected in Device Manager, uninstall it and restart the PC. Plug the device back in. The drivers should be automatically reinstalled. Is it visible now? I would recommend you to check the My Passport with another USB cable. Do you have valuable data on the drive?

Hope this helps
Good morning. It is recognizable in Device Manager and it was before. I did what you suggested, and it still doesn't work. I've tried plugging it into other devices, as well as, using other cables. I have a few hundred movies on drive. If I need to replace the drive, I can get those back. I just don't want to spend money on the drive, those things aren't cheap. I guess I'd rather replace the drive than my Surface.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Ibrooks
Jun 1, 2015 at 05:31 AM
I would recommend you to connect the drive to a desktop and use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to check drive's health. In addition, it may be useful to boot from a Linux Live CD. You may get enough access to backup your data. If you manage to do so, format the drive and check its health once more. I leave you a download link to Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=KcfxP0