Toshiba Hard Drive not Displayed but detected

Closed
Aditya - Jun 19, 2015 at 07:10 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Jun 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Hello,

My Toshiba Hard Drive is getting detected but not displayed.

I need the data in the hard disk, therefore cant format the disk.

Please help me with this.

Thanks,
Aditya
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Jun 19, 2015 at 09:56 AM
Hey there, Aditya.

Where is the drive being detected (BIOS, Device Manager, Disk Management)? If it's recognized in Disk Management, you could try changing the drive's letter assignment, to see if this makes it appear in Windows Explorer. Here's how to do that: https://ccm.net/faq/4109-windows-change-the-letter-assigned-to-a-drive
I assume that you're talking about an external HDD (please correct me if I'm wrong). If the "change letter" advice doesn't help, I'd recommend that you test it with a different USB cable (shorter than 12") and a different computer to see if the same thing happens.
You could also try to access the drive via Linux Live CD/USB, to see if you're able to get to your files this way.

Hope that helps. Please keep me posted on your progress.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative
Hey, I am getting the message

"You must initialize a disk before the local Disk Manager can access it".

The disk is giving the message "Not Initialized".

Please let me know
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37 > Aditya
Jun 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM
It sounds like there's a problem with the HDD's enclosure or the drive itself, if the methods described above don't help at all.
First try out the suggestions from the previous post, to see if you get any positive results.
You could also try with data recovery software, but it's going to be a long shot if the drive is shown as not initialized.
There's another option (beside a data recovery company), which would help if the issue lies within the drive's enclosure. I'm talking about taking the HDD out of the enclosure and connecting it internally to a computer via a SATA connection. Note that this is never recommended and would void the warranty of the HDD.

Good luck with the data recovery, I hope you manage to get to your files!