Mypassport WD

Closed
vineet - Jun 24, 2015 at 06:53 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jun 25, 2015 at 03:01 AM
Hello,
My computer is not able to detect the hard disk, the Light comes on but there is also a small sound coming from drive.

Please help

2 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Jun 24, 2015 at 06:54 AM
clicking sound is not a good sign of hard disk
when a hard drive, being external or internal starts making strange noises (clicking, buzzing) it usually means that it has some sort of hardware issue or damage and in most such cases, the drive becomes dead and unusable. So was this sound you heard something like that, indicating that the drive might be damaged?
you should try it on another PC or if you don't have a second PC to test on, then switch between the USB ports.
You could also try it with a different USB cable. The case may also be that the WD My Passport is requiring some sort of driver to be installed.
The link that I've pasted below is from WD's Knowledge Base.

Where to find a driver for a WD product or the operating system (OS) fails to recognize a WD drive:

https://support-en.wd.com/

Best of luck!
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jun 25, 2015 at 03:01 AM
Hi Vineet,

Would you describe the sound as a spinning sound, a scratching sound or is it more like a tak-tak-tak sound? Follow the steps, provided by Computertech. Sadly, if the sound is not like spinning, the issue may indicate a physical damage, which can not be repaired. In some cases, the USB cable gets damaged, which leaves the drive without proper power supply. Sometimes this may lead to a strange noise from the drive. Definitely try with another cable. Do you have valuable data on the drive? Is the drive under warranty? If it is, contact the reseller and get a replacement.

Hope this helps
Western Digital Representative