Win 10 Update wrecked my laptop, hard to fix

Solved/Closed
Nilz - Aug 2, 2015 at 02:41 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 13, 2015 at 05:18 PM
Hello Guys,
this my my first ever post in a forum, so lets see how it goes ;)

I just updated to Win10 a few days ago. Everything seemed fine at first. Then after a few hours (I restarted once inbetween) I could suddelny not start it properly any more. It loaded into windows but then would stop before loading desktop icons or the icons on the taskbar. Also I could not klick the taskbar. Even taskmanager takes ages to be loaded and then just says "". Also I cannot push the power button for windows to shut down. The only thing I can do is press the powerbutton for a long while to strangle windows back to death.

After about 5 trails to start it, it actually worked once more and it told me that I should deactivate 3 apps that would slow down the system start, I should do that in the taskmanager. However I could not get to the taskmanager. I then tried to restart the pc but it just wouldent react. I klicked "restart" several times and then strangled windows dead with the power button again.... which was a misstake.

Since then It only starts into the blank-desktop mode being unable to use the desktop or taskmanager.

I read that it could have to do with me having a nvedia graphics card. I could try deactivating the drivers, but i dont even get that far.
I read about the savemode but appartently its way harder to start in win 10.. apparently I cant just press F8 and select it.
I now tried to use a repair/recovery usb stick. However, also the recovery seems to be easiest done by the Pc that the recovery is for (which is impossible for me).

In short: I want to try to fix my Pc, for the recovery option I only have the win7 pc of a friend. The recovery tool from windows seems to only be downloadable for a pc with win 10. I tried downlading the 32-bit tool but it cant be run under win 7 I think.

Im desperate, help is apprechiated =)
Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Aug 2, 2015 at 04:49 PM
Guten Abend Nilz,

Thank you for letting us know.

This type of error occurred during installation of Win 10, however, rest assure that your pc has not been damaged in any way. Operating systems do not damage hardware.

Have you managed to repair Windows?
Thank you for your reply :) I got the system running again but it's rather slow. I'm just about to reinstall my graphic drivers. I followed a guide on youtube and deleted the current driver in the device manager. I'm now trying to reinstall them again :D
Lets see, I may have to reinstall windows.
I seem to have found a solution myself. I just hammmmmmmered F8 and also F8+Shift during the boot and somehow managed to get into the windows repair mode. Maybe by damaging my pc even more, that could be.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Aug 2, 2015 at 05:36 PM
Nilz,

The slowdown is normal. During installation you have added load of temporary files ans registry entries. The processor and operating system is trying to make its way through all that plate of spaghetti, or should I say sauerkraut.

Don't be hasty in deleting drivers as some of your hardware may no longer respond.

instead of deleting, I suggest you download and install CCleaner:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4555-ccleaner/

Run both the temp file remover and the registry cleaner.

Good luck
I got my drivers back on. Still everything is quite a bit slower. Startup takes about 5 mins till all the desktop is loaded. I'll follow your suggestion and use the good old CC for some de-krauting.
Aug 3, 2015 at 06:01 PM
Nilz

Bitte, remember to defragment your hard disk.

You can use Defragler or Windows utility. It will speed up your system.

How is it going to far?
I'm following your suggestion with fragmetation just now. I had to cleaninstall win 10 afterall. It made it a lot better. I still have some graphics driver issues I think, I do get weired graphic bugs while gaming. Its ok though. I hope the next nvidia patch will resolve that issue.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169 > Nilz
Aug 13, 2015 at 05:18 PM
Hallo Nilz,

Danke for keeping me abreast it is '"nett" on your part.

You are correct, some drivers will need to be updated by the different manufacturers. Personally, I did not that type of issue after updating to Win 10. Perhaps that your laptop's manufacturer has already issue an update, I suggest you look at their website.

I trust that you have defragmented after you deleted all temporary files and removed registry errors. After upgrading it may take a long time to defragment.

Viel Glück