Secondary Hard Drive showing as External Hard Drive.

Closed
amanda - Aug 8, 2015 at 01:03 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Aug 10, 2015 at 05:51 AM
Hello,

I recently tried to do a restore to factory settings on my Alienware M17x R3. However, I ran into some issues. Instead of restoring my main hard drive (C:) and it wiped my second hard drive (E:) which is a Seagate brand and placed Windows on it. I lost all of my files. I used EaseUS to recover the majority of my files and copied it over to my Toshiba portable hard drive. Now, when I look at my Device Manager it shows Disk Drive that my two hard drives are: Crucial and Toshiba.

What happened and how do I fix this?

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 10, 2015 at 05:51 AM
Hi Amanda,

As far as I understood, your Seagate drive appears as a Toshiba drive. Correct me if I am wrong. What is the situation in Disk Management? Is the drive correctly recognized. Can you use it normally? Check in BIOS too.
Enter Device Manager and search for you external under USB devices. Uninstall the device and restart the PC. Is the situation any different? You can plug your external back in and the OS should reinstall the drivers.

Hope this helps