No sound [Closed]

Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015
-
 Blocked Profile -
After a reload of Windows, My Toshiba Satellite Pro running XP has no sound on the built in speakers or the headphone socket. It has, however, sound on the USB ports. I reloaded the sound driver but still no joy. I can find nothing wrong. Device manager thinks all is fine and "troubleshooting" can find nothing wrong. Any ideas?

Harry

4 replies

Hello Harry,

what do you mean you have audio on USB?

are you using a USB Audio Card?

When did it last work? before the restart?

Have you tried a system restore?
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Hello kieferschild,

What I mean is that if I plug in a pair of USB auxiliary speakers they work fine. Unfortunately I wish to use the headphone socket and am unable to do so. The internal speakers have never worked since a reload of windows (they were working before the reload of windows) after the computer got generally messed up (my daughter had been using it) and I decided to start afresh. I am not using a USB audio card unless there was already one built into the computer when bought (new). I don't think restore would help.

Harry

Hi Harry,

it sounds like you havent installed the correct audio drivers for your computer.

Can you provide the model number of the laptop and I will locate them.
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Thanks, Kieferschild,

The serial number is X8052245H. The trouble shooter says that all is working as it should, but I will try whatever you tell me.

Yours Harry
Blocked Profile >
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Harry,

what country are you in?

the SN isn't being found on the .com website.
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Thanks, Kieferschild,

I am in the UK. It is a Pro S300-121, Mod No PSSBOE-05E00UEN I have checked the the serial number and X8052245H is correct.

Yours Harry
Blocked Profile >
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Oh dear, oh dear, I downloaded and installed the driver on that link and rebooted and now I have no sounds whatsoever as my USB speakers are now not working either. As you might imagine I am well unhappy.

Harry

Can you right click My Computer and go to Manage

On the left click on device manager

under Audio/Sound can you right click and delete the drivers and check the option to uninstall drivers.

restart and install what I said again.
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

I don't have Audio/Sound under device manager. The nearest I have is "sound, video and game controllers" and when I click on that I do not have the option to delete drivers.

Harry

In the list of devices in device manager, do you have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in?
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

No

Harry
Blocked Profile >
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Try installing the audio driver again.
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

I have done that and it is just the same. No sound whatsoever. I think this computer is ruined!
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

I have fiddled with the settings and have got the USB speakers working again so I shall forget the internal speakers and get myself a USB to headphone adapter so I can use my RF headphones.

Thanks for trying

Harry
Blocked Profile >
Registration date
Sunday August 16, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 17, 2015

Harry,

That's a shame.

As you know, Windows XP is no longer support by Microsoft so now may be the time to upgrade.

Until next time!