Motherboard boot screen stuck [Solved/Closed]

RonDanino 7 Posts Wednesday September 9, 2015Registration date September 11, 2015 Last seen - Sep 9, 2015 at 06:06 AM - Latest reply: Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen
- Sep 12, 2015 at 02:29 AM
I've been dealing with this problem for a couple months now, and It's getting really annoying.
Ever since I installed my new GPU (Gigabyte GTX960 G1 GAMING) My motherboard boot screen is stuck for a few mintues,it is also having a few post beeps,about one in a minute and I cant do anything, I cant open bios or anything, it just doesnt respond until a few minutes pass and it continutes on startup.
I know why it might be this way, this GPU requires me to plug 2 cables from my power supply and I only have 1, the GPU is still working fine with 1 cable but I assume that this is the reason, So I'm wondering if this replacing the card\power supply is the only way to fix it or is there something else I can do?
P.S, I dont mind the few minutes waiting when turning the PC on, The real problem is that I cant format my computer.
Also, My motherboard is Gigabyte H61M-S2PV
Thanks, Ron.
See more 

17 replies

Best answer
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 10, 2015 at 06:56 AM
Thank you
Thanks for the Info! Lets go!

First of all,

1) The PSU you mentioned is not a standard one! Did you buy it seperately?
or this is custom built pc? Yes. Ofcourse as you said it is one of the issue regarding power connectors that going to the card!

2) Your GPU need the following,

a) System power supply requirement: 400W (with two 6-pin external power connectors)

b) 28nm processor but yours 22nm

How many beeps you got in post?

Thank you, Computertech 1

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1701 users this month

I get 4 post beeps each one in about 30 seconds, im not sure if this pc was custom built or just bought, but i upgraded a lot, im not sure if the psu was changed but probably not.
Best answer
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 10, 2015 at 07:10 AM
Thank you
For concerning beeps,

Check your motherboards manual, it will tell you what the 4 beeps indicate, if you don't have a manual then there should be one for your motherboard on Gigabytes website.

I would reseat all connections
Reseat RAM modules and graphics card. Also try with just one Module (if you have more than one).
Take CMOS battery out for atleast 10 minutes.

Its either gpu error or a real time clock, what does real time clock mean?
I took the cmos for about 30 minutes or so, now my pc wont boot to windows at all, also, still cant access to bios to fix the boot thing..
Best answer
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 11, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Thank you
A real-time clock (RTC) is a battery-powered clock that is included in a microchip in a computer motherboard. This microchip is usually separate from the microprocessor and other chips and is often referred to simply as "the CMOS"

Warning: Do all this after switch OFF your PC.

Did you try with Remove and Reseat the RAM?
Try again the CMOS battery and Remove your GPU, do not insert your GPU, reseat your CMOS battery again and switch on the pc!

Thanks for the comment, i ended up doing it before you responded but im back to where i started, boot screen is stuck on startup for a few minutes.
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 11, 2015 at 01:51 AM
Did you try without Graphic card?
It did start normally without the gpu i kinda knew it all along but i was wonderingif theres a way to fix it other then replacing parts and if there isnt what do i need to upgrade so it'll work properly, psu, motherboard or cpu
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 11, 2015 at 05:56 AM
Graphic card may be a culprit which stucks the screen at boot up, also as you said the Power supply unit need to connect the Graphic card power connections properly to work good but your psu did not, so from my part i suggest you to use your pc without graphic card if you did not want your pc to stuck otherwise buy new psu.
RonDanino > Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 11, 2015 at 07:01 AM
Okay, and is it causing any damage to the gpu or anything besides causing the boot menu to be stuck?
Best answer
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 11, 2015 at 07:49 AM
Thank you
You risk overdrawing the PSU and damaging it. It can also cause other components to not get enough power or deal with erratic power from an overloaded PSU, so unrelated things may also start to act up. Better quality PSU's are probably going to be more robust than lower quality cheap OEM provided ones.

A video card or other component may be say it needs a 400w power supply, and it probably does only when fully loaded. So you may not experience problems on power on, but only after playing a game or something else that stresses the GPU.

Specific symptoms include:

lockups
BSODs
graphical corruption
display goes black
You can try "burning-in" your card by running a benchmark utility such as FurMark3d or similar for an extended time, giving problems a chance to surface. But don't do it if you know your PSU is underrated. Get a new PSU.

RonDanino 7 Posts Wednesday September 9, 2015Registration date September 11, 2015 Last seen - Sep 11, 2015 at 12:10 PM
Okay, Thank you, I will probably end up buying a new PSU and CPU in a few months. thanks.
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 12, 2015 at 02:29 AM
You are welcome!
All the best and Regards!
Computertech 3742 Posts Friday February 6, 2015Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2016 Last seen - Sep 10, 2015 at 04:21 AM
Thank you
what is your power supply unit rating? and model?
RonDanino 7 Posts Wednesday September 9, 2015Registration date September 11, 2015 Last seen - Sep 10, 2015 at 06:25 AM
My power supply is a Zeus PS520GW
It's a 520watt power supply, I was also reading on the GTX960 box that it requires a powerful cpu, All I have is a I3 3.3Ghz (Intel Core I3 2120) Could it be it?
RonDanino 7 Posts Wednesday September 9, 2015Registration date September 11, 2015 Last seen - Sep 10, 2015 at 06:25 AM
Thank you
@Computertech

My power supply is a Zeus PS520GW
It's a 520watt power supply, I was also reading on the GTX960 box that it requires a powerful cpu, All I have is a I3 3.3Ghz (Intel Core I3 2120) Could it be it?