Cannot detect WD passport that I dropped

Closed
Passport - Sep 28, 2015 at 05:54 AM
 Passport - Sep 29, 2015 at 04:39 AM
Hello,

Pls help. I have just drop my WD 1TB External hardisk. It seems that my Computer cannot detect the WD passport. When I checked thru Disk management I can only see Disk 2 (Unknown). Pls help me to solve

Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 28, 2015 at 06:16 PM
I suspect the drive is broken.
Desktop stopped recognizing my WD 1TB Passport with a letter drive in Explorer but was listed as working properly in Device manager. I tried the following:-
01) Disk management - External Drive indicate as Disk 2 (unknown) - Click Properties - General - This Device is working properly. Pls help....
Passport > Passport
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:38 AM
Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I have important documents to retreive. Will follow as per instruction .
I have download & install mini tools.
After select drive for reovery - Disk 3 Appear (Capacity 0.0MB) - Moedl WD Passport0748 - NEXT - FULL DISK - NEXT - QUICK SCAN - After that nothing appear on the CHOOSE SEARCHED PARTITIONS
What should I do next. I desparately needs to retrieve all my important data. Pls help
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:29 AM
Did you have any important data in it?

Download and install MiniTools Partition Wizard Free Edition 9.1 (30.49 MB) from here

Recovery with Partition Wizard:

Run Partition Wizard 7.

Your disk1 may be shown as "unallocated" and without a drive letter.

Click on Partition Recovery Wizard and Next.

In the Partition Recovery Wizard screen, select the drive to be recovered and click on Next.

Select Full Disk, and then Next.

Select Quick Scan, Next

If the partition is found select and double click on it. Does the Partition Explorer show all the files?

Close the Partition Explorer and click on Finish.

The Main Screen will show the restored Drive but may be without a drive letter.

Right click on the drive, click on Change letter and give a drive letter.

Click on Apply to execute the two pending operations.

The partition is restored and your drive will be functional as before and you can access the files and folders.
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Sep 29, 2015 at 01:03 AM
It means there is no partitions on the disk.
Sep 29, 2015 at 01:14 AM
Ok do not panic.

Try this recovery software to recover your data, and I am not 100% sure that all your data is recovery but at most some data will recovered.

Link here --> https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/data-recovery-software/free-hard-drive-data-recovery-software.htm

Post back for further clarification!

Regards
Thanks for your advice. Understand that you have tried your very best. No worries , will appreciate even it's not successful. Yes, I am quite panic now. It's a very costly lesson for me to store all my important data in 1 and only hard disk.
Sep 29, 2015 at 01:23 AM
You are welcome and thank you for your appreciation!

Yes it is very important to backup all your data's often, not only one backup in single drive, my personal suggestion is that always try to keep 2 backups in separate drives may be ( external hard disk or Flash drives)
I have tried to Install EaseUS Data Recovery . I have followed the steps :- SELECT TYPES OF LOST FILES but I can't even see my WD Passport Drive , How am I going to recover the data.
Passport > Passport
Sep 29, 2015 at 04:39 AM
Pls let me know is there any other alternative to retrieve all my important documents.