Toshiba Satellite l850 -1d5 won't boot

Closed
unclebuck Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 27, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 28, 2015 - Oct 27, 2015 at 10:43 PM
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 - Nov 3, 2015 at 02:25 AM
Firstly, apologies for asking what appears to be a fairly common thing however, the various posts I've seen haven't solved my problem and so I'm hoping my description and your assistance will crack it.

The aforementioned laptop was used by my son recently to submit his homework. After doing this he shut it down correctly and was asked by a windows pop up, after a minute or so, if he would like to force shut down to which we agreed.
Since then the following screen is all I get after the Toshiba start up screen

I have tried the following:
Battery off overnight and then restart - no change
Hold 0 down on start up - same screen an a godawful continuous beeping
F2 for enter setup menu - no error messages in here and my hdd is listed
F12 for boot menu - hdd is listed as the first drive to check

Listening to the laptop on start up you can here a "click click" sound of the (I assume) hard drive as soon as the power comes on but then it sounds like it clicks off again (as it would sound at shut down) rather than kicking on and booting up.

I'd like 2 questions if I may before resorting to a repair centre:
1) Has any got any idea what to try next?
2) am I likely to lose everything on the laptop? (I've a ton of work, music, etc on it. Would have been backed up to a separate hard drive but this was recently stolen!)
All and any assistance is really appreciated. Thank you in advance
Mick
Related:

3 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Oct 28, 2015 at 05:36 AM
Your problem lies with one of the following scenarios given in the following link:

https://ccm.net/computing/hardware/3011-how-to-fix-pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable-error/

As you said your hard disk is detected, I suggest you to connect it with another pc and try to recover all your data as soon as possible.

In mean time you try the following:

switch off the laptop
Remove the battery
Remove the hard disk (do it if you can otherwise don't)
Reseat the hard disk properly.
press power button for 30 sec
Reseat the battery
switch on the laptop.
Thanks for your continuing help (really appreciate it) and apologies it took so long to get back to you.

Ok, so an update...

Read the link page you supplied above and, taking each in turn:

Case 1 - PC needs to boot on a network - it was never set up this way when I bought it that I'm aware (as I wouldn't know why to do this or for what reason!)

It's never been connected via a network cable from new, only ever wifi and only at home. Is there (in your opinion) any merit in me connecting it to the wifi router now? If so I'll borrow a cable from work tomorrow and give it a whirl

Case 2 - boot sequence is incorrectly configured. I'd already looked at this briefly before making my original post (although not in any great detail I admit).

I have tried changing the sequence in which the boot order runs. It was/ is: hdd, USB, odd, lan. Moving this order makes no difference and results in the black screen error message.

Case 3 - hdd or motherboard is faulty

It looks as though this is more likely now. I've removed the hdd and battery as you suggested and put back as you suggested - same error message and same sound of the hard drive (I think) click in to life and then off again as described in my earlier post.

BSOD - this has happened a handful of times in the 4 years or so that I've owned it and probably not for a few months

I guess this means a final couple of questions if I may...

Put hard drive into another machine and recover data was something you suggested previously - as I don't have another machine this is a polite chat to the office IT man tomorrow I think and is likely beyond my capabilities anyway.

Question 1 is as follows - is this the point I find out whether or not it's the HDD that's knackered or the motherboard? IE I can't get any data off it?

Question 2 - can you give me a rough idea how much it's likely to cost to repair (assume I suppose that both motherboard and HDD are broken as a worst case) or is cheaper to walk away from it and buy another laptop (or ask Santa)?

Again, thanks very much for all of your help it really is appreciated.

Mick
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Oct 28, 2015 at 01:54 AM
You said that you hear continuous beeping. can you tell us that how many beeps you got?
unclebuck Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 27, 2015 Status Member Last seen October 28, 2015
Oct 28, 2015 at 05:24 AM
When I hold down 0? It depends on how long I've held it down for, it can be tens of seconds to much longer if I've held it for longer.
Not sure if this helps
Nov 3, 2015 at 02:25 AM
You got BSOD quite often?

You did not mention it on your post, which may be possible cause of hardware failure, if you post here when you got BSOD you will get suitable solution before itself.

The error you got if you have network boot as first booting device, but you have HDD as first booting device since it is failed or not plugged properly,your pc try to boot from network boot,

but your hard disk is recognized in BIOS is a good sign of recovering your data but not 100% sure it is working good. As I said connecting the hard disk to another pc is the only option to recover your data.

Regards