Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000 won't start

Closed
Tesfayemulu Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday November 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 27, 2016 - Nov 17, 2015 at 08:14 AM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Dec 1, 2015 at 03:49 AM
Hello,

My Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000 laptop won't boot: lights are on, the fan is spinning but the screen is remains black. I remember the last time I shut down the laptop pressing power button since it took longer time update 29 steps before shutting down.

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Nov 18, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Hello Tesfayemulu,

The problem that you have may be due to the failure of the video chip. Sometimes, after much of a use and less cooling the graphics processor which is responsible for video signal transmission get unsolders, the thermic paste goes away and it gets unsoldered, therefore the screen doesn't show anything. If you possess knowledge of notebooks' hardware you can change the paste yourself by opening the laptop and check if the chipset that is next to the processor has got unsoldered or you can bring your laptop to a technician to get it soldered again.

Cheers.
Thank You! That is a good hint to solve my problem. Last time I took the laptop to a technician. when it was powered on suddenly, the window opened normally and worked for 2 days without any problem. while it was working I opened video player and the video was playing normally and at the middle, the laptop made an odd sound and suddenly shut and rebooted. I observed such problems repeated when I opened videos. After three days the first problem happened again- that is unable to boot at all. It couldn't recover again. What do you think the problem is? Can I solve it myself? Please help! Thanks!
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > Tesfayemulu
Dec 1, 2015 at 03:49 AM
Hi again,

It's interesting to know what the technician made to test your laptop. Can you share details?
This odd sound that you're talking about could be due either to hard drive failure or to non-responsive cooling system. Honestly, I suspect a motherboard failure, but from the distance it is very difficult to define the exact cause of the problem.
If the power supply is damaged, your hard drive wouldn't be able to boot up therefore wouldn't be loading the OS. This suggestion I do in the situation when you see the lights blinking, but you cannot hear the drive running. If you can't see any light switching on, probably the whole MB is for replacement.
My idea is, if you have that option, to pull out the HDD from the lap and to test it, whether it will work as an external one on a different PC. You could do that by connecting it via USB-SATA adaptor or use external case to put it in.

Good luck. Cheers.