My external hard drive isn't showing up on my computer?

Closed
qwertyqwerty8 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday October 1, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 1, 2016 - Oct 1, 2016 at 07:21 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Oct 3, 2016 at 05:04 AM
Yesterday it was working fine, but when i plugged it in today it didnt show up at all anywhere on my computer. I can see that my hard drive is on when i plug it in because i can see the light and can feel it vibrating but it won't connect at all to the computer. I've looked all over the internet and tried pretty much everything like using disk management and cmd but nothing has worked at all. Please, anyone, I need your help.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Oct 3, 2016 at 05:04 AM
Hi qwertyqwerty,

Does the drive appear in Disk Management? If it does, check if it has a drive letter and a file format? If it is possible, try to change the drive letter. I strongly recommend you to test the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. If the situation is the same and the drive is not listed in Disk Management, there may be a problem with the device. Do you have important data stored on it? If you do, try connecting the drive to a Linux PC or use a Linux Live CD. You may have better chances seeing the drive and being able to save some information.

Hope this helps