Toshiba Satellite C850 endless boot looping

Solved/Closed
PooPaul Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 31, 2017 Status Member Last seen June 2, 2017 - May 31, 2017 at 10:05 AM
PooPaul Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday May 31, 2017 Status Member Last seen June 2, 2017 - Jun 2, 2017 at 06:11 AM
Good day, a friend has a weird problem. Her laptop is continuously booting. HDD checked; everything is fine. The machine came with Windows 7 Starter, but someone decided to upgrade to Win 7 Pro. Another techi says the motherboard needs to be replaced. When I opened up, I couldn't find any blown fuses or capacitors. There was fresh heat paste but a LOT of dust and grime on the fan. So much for work ethic.

I've transferred all her data to my external HDD and proceeded with a new install, hoping that Win 7 Starter would resolve the boot looping. Now here's the weird part: when the installation was finished, the Toshiba came on with an LG screen. And the OS disk is an original. When I restarted, the looping resumed. According to Speccy there is a Sandy Bridge motherboard but I couldn't get the exact model number before the machine reset itself.

Please advise.
Related:

4 responses

Blocked Profile
May 31, 2017 at 04:22 PM
What is the boot order set to? Reset the BIOS to defaults. Is it attempting to boot, then not going to a bootable device and restarting?