Ask a question Report

Laptop turns off when power cord is removed. [Solved/Closed]

sahpec30 - Latest answer on Jan 3, 2013 09:32AM
Hello,
My Gateway 9500 Laptop unexpectedly turns off, when the battery charger (power cord) is unplugged. The battery is new (purchased on 11/09/09) and charged it for 24 hours. I just insatalled Windows XP Pro. SP3 without the battery in the laptop and I remember seeing some type of error message about the battery. I didn't think anything about it then. Maybe it is causeing this problem now. Please help.
Read more 
Answer
+146
moins plus
For those of you having the problem of a HP laptop shutting off when you unplug the charger and your battery is fully charged, I can help you. There is nothing wrong with the laptop, battery, or computer, it is a power management setting. If you go to display properties, select the screen saver tab, then click the "power" button, in the power schemes field is a drop down window, click on it and select "Rixane Power Scheme", it is a power switching utility that quickly switches between AC and Battery when the power cable/charger is plugged in or unplugged while the laptop is on. If you have it set to "always on" it will shut off when you pull the power cord, even if the battery is charged. This will also happen on many non-HP laptops, if you don't have a HP laptop or there is not a "Rixane" option available, select the "Portable/Laptop" power scheme. Hope this helps!

gail- Feb 26, 2010 12:11PM
Hello, I have a year old HP and Vista. I don't have any of these settings in my HP...schemes are now called power plans...screen savers are not under display options but under personalization so there is no tab for screen saver under display. The HP power plans are like "Balanced" or "power saver" . There is also no portable/laptop power plan either. HELP!

thanks
yeahyouknowme- Sep 19, 2010 03:48PM
You saved the day!
JoHn- Oct 19, 2012 07:39PM
where I get the display properties? I'm so confused right know.
Jcramalho- Jan 3, 2013 09:32AM
Hi Ken.

Your solution worked like a charm.

I selected now the Laptop power scheme.

I used to selected the Allway on power scheme, and after some time working with the battery, the screen got blanck.

Many thanks,

Joao
Answer
+38
moins plus
leave the battery power option to high performance,

Answer
+18
moins plus
So when you unplug the power cord does it shut down right at that moment? Or will it run for a little while on battery?

sahpec30- Nov 22, 2009 08:50AM
Yes, it will shut down right at that moment.
Answer
+11
moins plus
Sounds like your battery is bad. I would return it and get a new one. They should replace the battery since you just bought it 2 days ago.

Answer
+11
moins plus
turn on laptop unplugged,when fully on then plug it in.then remove plug,shud stay
on

Answer
+10
moins plus
The battery meter is at 100%. I wish I can try the battery in another laptop to confirm your suggestion.

This document entitled « Laptop turns off when power cord is removed. » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.