Restoring Dell to Factory Settings (tried and tested directly from Dell Support because the F8 'repair your computer' did not work
1. Shut down computer after inserting Windows OS disc (Dell disc)
2. Power laptop on, hitting F12 when the Dell flash screen appears
3. Select CD ROM DRIVE from the list that appears
4. Press any key when prompted
5. Laptop will likely appear to be loading (Windows loading bar)
6. Select Language, Time, Keyboard settings. Select Next
7. Do not select ‘Install Now’. Instead select ‘Repair your computer’ at the bottom left
8. Select 'command prompt' box.
9. Select command prompt box.
10. (after each step, press the enter key to get to the next step)
a. type: path=d:\windows;d\windows\system32
b. type: d:
c. type: cd tools (note the space)
d. type: pcrestore
11. The Dell Factory Image Restore page should come up. Follow onscreen instructions but when it asks to repair any problems select ‘no’ then ‘finish’.
12. A load bar will appear dictating progress for the restore, this step should take roughly 15-20 minutes.
13. Once the restore is complete, your laptop will restart and the original Windows Vista set up screen will appear. Follow the onscreen prompts to completion.