Ask a question Report

Restore factory settings [Solved/Closed]

danielle :) - Latest answer on Jan 27, 2013 04:00PM
Hello, I have a compaq laptop/notbook with windows vista home premium installedon it. Does anyone know how I can restore my laptop to factory settings so it will be the same as when I 1st bought it?
Any help would be great
Thankies
Read more 
Answer
+479
moins plus
Hi I bought my new latop Dell inspiron 1525 using os vista in October and would like to restore it to it's origional factory settings, however I have been unable to do this as I have been told a number of different actions to try by PC performance and none of them work: First I was told to press f8 on a reboot then select repair my computer so I pressed f8 and there was no option to repair my computer; Second I was told to restart and press f12 insert a blank dvd and boot using cd/dvd which would create a boot disc which in turn would restore to factory settings, after choosing boot from cd/dvd my laptop just restarts as normal without creating a boot disc; I was then told to burn recovery (which was on a small drive D:) to disc first then boot from cd/dvd which has no effect again windows starts normally.........so being nosey I had a look around this recovery file and found a setup icon that said factory restore when I clicked on it, I got the message ERROR: the factory image could not be found please reinstall using the operating system media dvd.

any help on this would be fantasic as I am now at my wits end.

chickenjones44- Jan 27, 2013 04:00PM
have you tried pressing f9 that worked for me
Answer
+172
moins plus
Hi I bought my new latop in October and would like to restore it to it's origional factory settings, however I have been unable to do this as I have been told a number of different actions to try by PC performance and none of them work: First I was told to press f8 on a reboot then select repair my computer so I pressed f8 and there was no option to repair my computer; Second I was told to restart and press f12 insert a blank dvd and boot using cd/dvd which would create a boot disc which in turn would restore to factory settings, after choosing boot from cd/dvd my laptop just restarts as normal without creating a boot disc; I was then told to burn recovery (which was on a small drive D:) to disc first then boot from cd/dvd which has no effect again windows starts normally.........so being nosey I had a look around this recovery file and found a setup icon that said factory restore when I clicked on it, I got the message ERROR: the factory image could not be found please reinstall using the operating system media dvd.

any help on this would be fantasic as I am now at my wits end.

Answer
+112
moins plus
I have Sony VAIO NR11 Z/S running Vista Home Premium I just wonderd if anyone could help me getting it back to factory settings. please e-mail me.

many thanks.

Answer
+67
moins plus
Hey,
I am trying to restore my HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium, back to factory settings... I have already used the recovery manager. When I click system restore, and then click next, all it does is reboot. It will not start the recovery program. It just simply restarts my computer. I have NO idea what I am doing wrong but any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

scotty- Feb 6, 2009 10:09AM
hi just turn laptop on and hold alt and tap f10 very fast
chika- Jul 28, 2009 06:46PM
HI i have a toshiba windows vista home premium and when i try to restore it by pressing f8 at the beginning then press repair my computer, it takes me through all the steps and says successfully complete bt when i try to log on it take a long time and it wont let me log in i can only go on to safe mode..bt i dont want safe mode. Please HELP ME.
Answer
+52
moins plus
HI I HAVE A DELL LAPTOP AND ONE DAY IT JUST SHUT OFF SO IN ORDER TO GET IT BACK TO FUNCTION I HAD TO REBOOT THE WHOLE THING I TOOK IT TO GEEK SQUAD TO GET THE DATA BACKED UP AND THEN REBOOT THE COMPUTER AS I FOUND OUT GEEK SQUAD GAVE ME ABLANK DISK WITH NO INFO. NOTHING IN IT I PAID $200.00 THEY LOST THE CHARGER FOR MY COMPUTER AND THEY DIDNT BACK UP MYDATA WHEN I TOOK THE DISK BACK THEY TOLD ME THEIR COMPUTER HAD JUST BROKE DOWN AND COULD NOT RETRIEVE MY INFO. I HAD ALREADY REBOOT MY COMPUTER DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF I CAN GET ANY OF MY FILES OR AT LEAST MY PICTURES AFTER REBBOTING THE COMPUTER I HAD THOUSANDS OF PICTURES THAT I NEED CAN SOMEONE HELP ME IF THEY HAVE AN ANSWER . AND DO NOT TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO GEEK SQUAD EVER THEY DONT TAKE RESPONSABILITY FOR ANYTHING

chickenjones44- Jan 27, 2013 03:59PM
i have actually used geek squad forever they are always nice and help me you just had a bad encounter i believe
Answer
+29
moins plus
WHILE I TRYING TO HIT F8 HOLD CLT ITS GIVE ME MSG DAT SYSTEM FAIL TO GO RECOVERY.. CAN YOU PLZ TELL ME HOW CAN I FIXED MY PROBLEM I BOUGHT UNTOUCH BUT WITHOUT WARRANTY DELL INSPIRON 1525 LAPTOP BEFORE WHEN I INSTALL THE VISTA HOME PREMIUM EDITION IT DOING GODD SINCE I CONNECTED THE EXPTERNAL BLOUTHOTH MY SYSTEM FACING PROBLEM . TILL NOW PROBLEM IS WHEN I TURN THE SYSTEM FOR THE FIRST TIME I MEANS TO SAY WHEN I DONE MY WORK TODAY AND I SHUTDOWN AND THEN TRY TO TURN ON TOM OR OFTER 2 HOUR THE SYSTEM KEEP BUSY THERE WHILE DAT WINDOW LOGO LOADING AND KEEP BUSY NOTHING MOVE FORWARD .. WHEN I TURN OFF AND THEN TURN ON THEN ITS WORK LIKE A NORMAL NOW IF WANT TO RESTART 100 OF TIME IT WILL WORK NORMAL NOTHING GIVE ANY PROBLEM .. ..

CAN YOU PLZ HELP ME I'M TIRED OF DAT TO HOW CAN FIXED DAT .. PLZZ

Answer
+26
moins plus
Once you restore it will it erase what is already saved on the computer? I have hp vista and i want to restore my audio card. Any ideas? I update to the pack 1 and lost my audio

win- Nov 29, 2012 08:24PM
i have the same trouble...help
Answer
+21
moins plus
I recently restored the factory settings on my hp laptop, but only the core components of vista seem have to been installed; it can not remember prefrences, settings, install updates; etc. anyone know how to fix this?

Josh- Jan 21, 2009 10:08PM
Hi, what do I do to restore my computer if it is older than a 2004 i have tried all the cntr and alt and all the f keys nothing works please help
Answer
+19
moins plus
Best idea - INSTALL LINUX

Answer
+17
moins plus
WHILE I TRYING TO HIT F8 HOLD CLT ITS GIVE ME MSG DAT SYSTEM FAIL TO GO RECOVERY.. CAN YOU PLZ TELL ME HOW CAN I FIXED MY PROBLEM I BOUGHT UNTOUCH BUT WITHOUT WARRANTY DELL INSPIRON 1525 LAPTOP BEFORE WHEN I INSTALL THE VISTA HOME PREMIUM EDITION IT DOING GODD SINCE I CONNECTED THE EXPTERNAL BLOUTHOTH MY SYSTEM FACING PROBLEM . TILL NOW PROBLEM IS WHEN I TURN THE SYSTEM FOR THE FIRST TIME I MEANS TO SAY WHEN I DONE MY WORK TODAY AND I SHUTDOWN AND THEN TRY TO TURN ON TOM OR OFTER 2 HOUR THE SYSTEM KEEP BUSY THERE WHILE DAT WINDOW LOGO LOADING AND KEEP BUSY NOTHING MOVE FORWARD .. WHEN I TURN OFF AND THEN TURN ON THEN ITS WORK LIKE A NORMAL NOW IF WANT TO RESTART 100 OF TIME IT WILL WORK NORMAL NOTHING GIVE ANY PROBLEM .. ..

CAN YOU PLZ HELP ME I'M TIRED OF DAT TO HOW CAN FIXED DAT .. PLZZ

Answer
+11
moins plus
to restore compaq back to original factory settings-- when starting up, hold the F11 key down, this will bring you to the screens to start reformatting

let me know if you need anything else

chris- Mar 11, 2010 05:08PM
i have compaq laptop and it does not have that option any idea what else it could be to format it?

many thanks
Answer
+9
moins plus
Restoring Dell to Factory Settings (tried and tested directly from Dell Support because the F8 'repair your computer' did not work

1. Shut down computer after inserting Windows OS disc (Dell disc)
2. Power laptop on, hitting F12 when the Dell flash screen appears
3. Select CD ROM DRIVE from the list that appears
4. Press any key when prompted
5. Laptop will likely appear to be loading (Windows loading bar)
6. Select Language, Time, Keyboard settings. Select Next
7. Do not select ‘Install Now’. Instead select ‘Repair your computer’ at the bottom left
8. Select 'command prompt' box.
9. Select command prompt box.
10. (after each step, press the enter key to get to the next step)
a. type: path=d:\windows;d\windows\system32
b. type: d:
c. type: cd tools (note the space)
d. type: pcrestore
11. The Dell Factory Image Restore page should come up. Follow onscreen instructions but when it asks to repair any problems select ‘no’ then ‘finish’.
12. A load bar will appear dictating progress for the restore, this step should take roughly 15-20 minutes.
13. Once the restore is complete, your laptop will restart and the original Windows Vista set up screen will appear. Follow the onscreen prompts to completion.

burger- Jul 8, 2009 03:54PM
please note an error in the above solution, duplication of the 8th step is not necessary.
Answer
+7
moins plus
Windows Complete PC Recovery
Restores the contents of your hard disk from a backup. Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore is not included with Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, or Windows Vista Home Premium. But if you have the system tool that is in your computer that has a system recovery on your hard drive. it is easy to do. Find the system restore in your tools menu thin skip the restore prompts and do a recovery. I hope this works for you. I have used this a few times.

The Iceman

Joshandrok- Jan 11, 2009 10:37AM
Well that's my problem. I have the HP restore tool, but it doesn't do anything. It just restarts my computer. I was hoping that someone could tell me how to fix the HP restore tool, and actually make it restore. But thanks for trying..
Answer
+6
moins plus
hii
i have dell inspiron 530
i tried pressin crl. and F11@ same time but it doesnt work
when i press F8 there is no such a option as repair my computer.
plzz someone hekp me

Answer
+4
moins plus
if you have a compaq or hp just strt up and as soon as you see the compaq or hp logo press f11 then follow instructions

keg- Jan 3, 2010 11:13AM
Have a Compaq Presario 5000 , tied the F8 & F11 procedures, no help. Any ideas?
Answer
+3
moins plus
Hey folks a thing to remember when doing these restores is before you do all that shut your system down and remove the battery then trty to restart the computer. In the cases I have seen where the monitor wouldnt load that usually if not always works.

Answer
+3
moins plus
If you have a dell computer which is after September 2005 with XP on it. You need to press Ctrl + F11 as soon as the system starts. If you have the Dell computer with Vista installed on it then you need to press F8 to reach to Advanced Boot Menu. There you need to select the option Repair your computer. Then you need to select the keyboard layout (Type 1 and then press enter). Then log in on your user account (Make sure that is an Administrator Account). Then choose the option Dell Factory Image Restore.

If you have the HP Computer then the Recovery has two option one is Destructive Recovery (Data Loss) and Non - Destructive (Data Back-up). You just need to Press F11 as soon as the computer restart. Then follow the on screen instruction and choose the option accordingly.

Rabiah- Mar 10, 2010 10:19PM
When I press f11 on my compaq laptope it's bring wellcome to recovery manager when I hit nextits ask me would u like to preform a system recovery? I ans yes than it's give me error 100a and says if this issue continues, pleas contact Hp support. Help me out from this
Answer
+3
moins plus
This is easy. Tap F8 on your keyboard until a screen you do not see on start up pops up. Once there use your arrows to highlight repair your computer. You should now have a list of System Recovery Options. You can try many of these options before taking the drastic step of restoring from an image but if you are sure that is what you want to do, then click Dell Factory Image Restore and follow the prompts. Then you should be all set
For other support topics check out www.bestcomputersupport.webs.com

jade- Jun 30, 2009 12:52PM
I do not get the 'repair your computer' option. Help!
Answer
+2
moins plus
I followed the instructions and do not see Dell Factory Image Restore. It is not an option for me? Any suggestions?

jared- Jun 11, 2009 06:26AM
Well first, since you don't see that option, you need to restore your factory defaults. NOTE THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL, ALL DATA. Factory defaults means you will have your computer the way you had it when you first got it. Now, you say you have a dell computer. Go to www.dell.com search up dell chat support or find it near the bottom of the page (may need to search it first then look at bottom of page under support) After that ask them what disc you should use to restore factory defaults. They will tell you and after that, they may give you a guide, if not, put in the CD while shutting down your computer and reboot it. Then follow the steps that come up on your screen. Good luck. For more support and training go to www.bestcomputersupport.webs.com JOB AVAILABLE!
Best regards
Jared
Answer
+2
moins plus
i have a toshiba satellite laptop not sure of what model its running windows xp
i wanna know what i do to restore it to factory settings i can get into advanced menu but dunno what to do from here tryed pressing a few an it just starts up windows again an wants password wich mum forgot what it is please help

god bless

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « restore factory settings » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.