Ask a question Report

Toshiba black screen won't start [Solved/Closed]

M Cee - Latest answer on Jan 5, 2013 09:02PM
Heyy, please help!!
Okay, so here's the thing, my Toshiba Satellite A305 has been giving me a really hard time lately. First of all, it's been shutting down unexpectedly before (and I'm pretty it's because it overheats), but now, it won't even start!
When I power it up, it only shows the TOSHIBA screen with the F2 and F12 options, but after that, nothing else happens. There's only a black screen, not even a cursor or anything. Nothing else happens until it shuts down.
Please help!
Read more 
Answer
+213
moins plus
This is WORKED FOR ME!--->I turned off my computer than unplugged cable and took out battery, held down power button for 1-2mins and than put everything back in (battery and charger) and tried to start it...the screen was still black. I than turned it off again, than pressed ESC, while holding down ESC I pressed and held power button until it briefly turned on and back off. Than I let go of both the buttons and pressed power back on and VOILA the screen came back on. Make sure your charger isn't loose, and than you're aren't surging too much power through the outlets-sometimes these can make the screen black too.
Hope this helps others out there, I have an old Toshiba Satellite running on Windows Vista

Ar'd- Apr 18, 2012 06:49AM
thank you, this worked for me.
blove- Jan 5, 2013 09:02PM
Worked for me too. Thanks!
Answer
+19
moins plus
@djsmurf

If M Cee does not have any data to save, he can restore:

Toshiba laptops from mid 2007 onwards dont have a recovery disc supplied with a purchase of a laptop. Instead, Toshiba has added a hidden partition on the hard drive which contains the same files on a recovery cd / dvd.

To reinstall your laptop to the factory settings / "out of the box" settings, please follow these steps.

ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE IF YOU PROCEED. YOU WILL NEED TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. DO NOT SWITCH OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER DURING THIS PROCESS.

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.

M Cee- Mar 4, 2011 06:37PM
Okay, I'm all for trying this, but two questions.
Would I need a CD/DVD for this though?
If, and because my Toshiba is notorious for shutting down unexpectedly, it shuts down during the process...what'll happen then?
djsmurf 102Posts Friday January 9, 2009Registration date April 30, 2011 Last seen - Mar 4, 2011 08:39PM
No CD or DVD needed.

(Because you think heat was causing your shutdowns) I would keep it in a place where the fan is getting a decent amount of air.

It will be drawing the recovery files from a hidden partition on the hard drive, if it would shutdown before the install finished you would just need to restart the process.
Ambucias 21983Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus July 23, 2015 Last seen - Mar 5, 2011 04:25AM
M Cee
djsmurf is entirely correct, please follow his advice.
M Cee- Mar 6, 2011 06:51PM
I'm sorry if I'm doubting this a little, but a reason why I didn't really look for ways to restore my Toshiba to out-of-the-box conditions is because I have a friend who tried to restore his Acer (he just wanted to restore it; mainly because he's just sick of how slow it is), and it turned off, and after that, he couldn't turn it on anymore. Totally wasted.

So I just want to ask how confident are you with this? I'm willing to try, but I really am pretty scared.
jess- Nov 26, 2011 05:08AM
i did the thing you said about the holding 0 it beeped came up to the black screen with the arrow and it was loading for 2 seconds the prompt screen isnt coming up its just sitting there on the black screen ive only had this computer for 2 weeks i have a toshiba c655d-s5200 i honestly dont know what to do everyone keeps saying its the hard drive but the fan is running still and my grandma got me this she only had a 15 day warranty on it and it didnt come with a disk so im stuck on what to do at this point please help me
Answer
+13
moins plus
ALSO: During the black screen, if I press any key, it starts making this beeping noise. PLEASE HELP!

Answer
+10
moins plus
Because you think it has been shutting down due to overheat, there may be damage to the hardware.

Have you attempted to reset it;

unplug the unit, remove the battery, hold down the power button for 1 - 2 min. replace batter and plug and attempt to restart.

M Cee- Mar 3, 2011 07:09PM
I have tried that several times. I can't really get to the screen where I could choose to start in Safe Mode. Also, there are keys that I could press without making any beeps: CTRL, FN, ALT, SHIFT and CAPSLOCK. I don't know if that helps...but jsyk.
djsmurf 102Posts Friday January 9, 2009Registration date April 30, 2011 Last seen - Mar 3, 2011 07:35PM
have you attempted to enter the system bios with the F2 key?

On some Toshibas you may need to;

1. Turn on computer by Holding down power button while pressing the ESC key.
The machine will beep, then display:
Check System, then press [F1] key. or "key error press del to setup"
2. Release ESC key
3. Press F1 key

This could be an issue with the RAM as well.
confused- Mar 4, 2011 01:28AM
it looks like there is a virus out there. this is the third question just on this page with the exact same proble....ouch
M Cee- Mar 4, 2011 04:04PM
Pressing ESC doesn't work, it just results in constant beeping after pressing it for so often. Same goes for F2. And if it has the TOSHIBA on the screen, I could go use the F2 button and it takes me to this blue screen - which I'm guessing is BIOS. But I can't really access the screen where it says Start in Safe Mode.

...I really want this Toshiba fixed. So I hope if it's a virus that it's one I could repair. Money's really tough nowadays.
Answer
+5
moins plus
Hello,

First thanks to "Ambucias"

Try this 1

The blue screen that you have indicated is the CMOS setup utility. Go to that

screen and check if your hard dive is detected or not and set the first boot device

as "Hard disk".

After turning ON your laptop check your hard drive LED activity.

If the problem still exists then most the laptop contains the option to perform

hard drive test from CMOS Setup. Once again go to CMOS setup and look for the

option "Hard drive test".

If the problem still exists then remove the hard drive from the laptop and check

if it looks for the boot device.

Good Luck

M Cee- Mar 9, 2011 03:36PM
The LED turns on and blinks a couple of times just like how it does when it used to boot up fully. Or at least, as far as I remember. But then, after the Toshiba screen and during the black screen, it stops showing altogether.

I do have my HDD as the first on my boot-up list. The same thing happens with the LED; it stops lighting up after the black screen.

On the CMOS setup, though, I can't really find the Hard Drive Test.
F12 - boot manager - only shows me the order of stuff that boots up and nothing else.
My current order is: 1) HDD 2) CD/DVD 3) FDD 4) LAN 5) USB Memory
And at the bottom it shows <Enter Setup>

Also, I've never really opened up a laptop before so I'm not very confident with this. What should I be careful of so I don't potentially damage my hard drive?

Thank you so much for taking the time to try to help me, too.
Answer
+4
moins plus
M Cee,

Toshiba and Acer are of totally different category, Toshiba being far much superior in quality. Toshiba uses genuine parts as Acer will use parts from different manufacturer. I doubt that Acer has integrated the recovery partition such as Toshiba did.

With all do respect, the instructions I gave to you to recover your system are the ones given by Toshiba, I did'nt get them from the back cover of a Kelloggs' Corn Flakes box.

Good luck

M Cee- Mar 7, 2011 04:00PM
Okayy. Sorry for the skepticism, but I have a newer problem: It wouldn't go to the Recovery System window. It wouldn't even beep when I press 0. After the Toshiba screen, it just shows a tiny white box, maybe 10px in height? And it has light pink and light blue dots/tiny squares.

After that, nothing else happens.

Please tell me this is something we could fix.
Answer
+2
moins plus
Did you:

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook?

If you did, I will seek another opinion from our inhouse wizard, jack4rall.

M Cee- Mar 7, 2011 05:50PM
When I switch off my Toshiba, it immediately switches off. But I held it for ten seconds. I released it, pressed down zero, and tapped the button power button (not letting go of the 0 key).

I did these several times and the same thing happens. Except, sometimes, there would be less/more of the pink/blue dots on the white box.

I really appreciate the help!
Ambucias 21983Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus July 23, 2015 Last seen - Mar 8, 2011 05:37AM
Okay, Thanks for your answer.

Let's see what the our Wizard Jack4all will say. It should not be long.
Answer
+2
moins plus
hi there if all ells fails then reflow the cpu gpu i have toshiba l300d and tried every thing and recently went pass youtube saying 'reflow cpu gpu'
i am positive this is the problem.. as im ordering my reflow kit on ebay
i have a weird feeling this is it.. so im goin to try and ill post back weather it works or not..thnx

Answer
+1
moins plus
Hello,

Just one question to M Cee, when you boot, is the fan running?

M Cee- Mar 4, 2011 03:43PM
It does run, but then, it doesn't really feel like it's blowing out any air. Or if it is, then it's really light and pretty cool.
Ambucias 21983Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus July 23, 2015 Last seen - Mar 4, 2011 04:30PM
M Cee
If the fan is running, at least you are getting further away from a hardware problem.

On the blue screen, did you have time to note the 10 caracter error code beginning with 0x? It would be very helpful?

I assume that booting with alt+f10 doesn't work?

Have you tried to take the battery out, plug in the cable and press the power button for about 60 seconds?

Do you have your Os disk? I don't know your os, which is an important information which has been missing from the beginning.

Are there important data on your HD which you wish to keep and for which you do not wish to restore to factory settings?

Is you os oem?

Regards
djsmurf 102Posts Friday January 9, 2009Registration date April 30, 2011 Last seen - Mar 4, 2011 04:39PM
I'm a little confused about the blue screen as well.

@M Cee
When the F2 key works do you get a blue screen with an error code, or is it showing your system settings?

If you can access your bios its a good indication that your hardware is ok, though you may still need to do a factory restore. As Ambucias stated above.
M Cee- Mar 4, 2011 06:35PM
@Ambucias - I've tried the alt-F10 and taking the battery out, and both didn't really help. And, sorry! I forgot to mention the os. It's Windows Vista, and I don't have the cd for it.
It'll be a shame to have to delete my files, but I'm all for it.
As for oem, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about...

And about the blue screen. The blue screen looks similar to this - http://media.laptoplogic.com/data/resources/images/78/bios_screen.jpg - and I don't think I've seen an error code. It goes straight to the system settings.
This document entitled « Toshiba black screen won't start » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.