Can i run a laptob on one hdd usb-connected?

Closed
computernoobnoob10 Posts 4 Registration date Monday January 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 15, 2009 - Jan 13, 2009 at 01:18 PM
computernoobnoob10 Posts 4 Registration date Monday January 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 15, 2009 - Jan 14, 2009 at 09:06 AM
Hello,
my hdd is broken and i tried to use the hdd of my old laptop. i have a usb case and connected it to my laptop and it found it but couldnt resume windows. someone told me that i cant use an installed version of windows xp on a different laptop so i reinstaled windows xp on the hdd through the usb.
but its still not working. i quick resarted xp and it copied all the data from all 5 cds. but when i restart the computer the xp sign comes up but it doesnt boot properly. it says resume windows normally (or in safe mode etc etc.) and when i clck yes it restarts again and the same thing comes up.
coud the poblem be that i have connected the hdd through the usb and didnt connect it from the bottom side? in bios it still cant detect any hdd. maybe because the only hdd that is connected to the comp is the one through usb.

can this problem be solved if i plug it properly where the damaged hdd used to be or would it be the same as connecting it via usb?
i changed the boot order too. to usb.
any thoughts?
thanks alot!

and if i was to buy a new hdd what model would it have to be? can i use any hdd that has the same connection as the broken hdd had?
thanks alot
Related:

2 responses

meltakeall Posts 22 Registration date Tuesday August 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2009 5
Jan 14, 2009 at 01:09 AM
hi,

it will be better if you connect the hard disk via the ide or sata connection inside your laptop.

if you are buying a new hard disk, buy one similar to the broken one.

take it with you when giong for shopping!

well, you can of course take one which has a greater memory capacity!