Ask a question Report

External USB Hard Drive doesn't show up in My Computer [Solved/Closed]

AkemiHomura 3Posts Friday November 16, 2012Registration date November 16, 2012 Last seen - Latest answer on Aug 30, 2013 08:12AM
Hello,
My External USB Hard Drive doesn't show up in My Computer Win 7 64bit.
I've just received my Western Element 2,5Tb today. When I first plugged it in, it worked normally. But due to my over-excitement, I copied too much files at the same time and it wasn't working anymore. I regretted doing this immediately.
I have searched on the internet to find some solutions but all of them didn't work. I've checked the Computer Management, Disk Management, but nothing about my External HD showed up. In the notification area, my laptop still detected it and I can removed it properly [even though i can't use it at all].
I tried to connect to my USB and another Samsung 500Gb HDD. And it worked perfectly fine.
Then, I tried to connect my new HDD to my sister's lap [she is using Window Vista] and it worked perfectly fine too.
I don't know what to do anymore. Please help me.
Read more 
Answer
+85
moins plus
Hi AkemiHomura,

I checked your message and the error screen shots. Thank you for the detailed description of the problem. I see that you receive this error message in Disk Management console:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

Try using the below mentioned steps and see if the issue is fixed:

1. Click Start and type Diskpart in the search box.
2. Right-click diskpart in the search results > click Run as administrator.
3. Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter.
4. You should notice that you will see your 2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.
5. Type select volume 1 (replace 1 with the volume number assigned to the Hard Drive in question).
6. Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).

Do reply with results.

lifer101- Aug 13, 2013 07:56AM
I had a similar problem with a 2tb WD passport. Your solution worked a treat. Great job. Thanx.
NOBLE KAYCEE- Aug 21, 2013 01:45AM
Thank you, it helped really fast.. the diskpart utility... thanks a lot brov..Cheers
ella- Aug 25, 2013 03:56PM
does this work for a data traveler g3, i tried your procedure but it still didnt work?
Hayato5000- Aug 30, 2013 06:58AM
The problematic device doesn't show up in the list at all. It works fine on other machines though. I even tried running it in Linux. No luck there either.
Answer
+38
moins plus
i too have a seagate hardisk ..im not able to view it on my pc n it works fine on another pc
plz help me...

Answer
+4
moins plus
Hi Aniket,

Please try the steps provided in the below mentioned link and check if the Hard Drive is detected in your computer:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2372-external-usb-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-windows

Do reply with results.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi AkemiHomura,

Sometimes for a hard drive of such a large size a firmware is required for correct functionality. Try downloading the firmware from the manufacturer's website. If you need any help with firmware download, do reply with the correct Model Number of the Hard Drive.

Please do write back to us.

AkemiHomura 3Posts Friday November 16, 2012Registration date November 16, 2012 Last seen - Nov 16, 2012 08:42PM
Thank you for replying me.
This is my Technical Details.
Capacity: 2.5 TB
Brand Name: Western Digital
Model: WDBAAU0025HBK-NESN
Hard Disk Size: 2.5 TB
Hard Disk Description: Desktop

And i can't find any firmware with this model.

when i tried to change the driver letter
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/The_Quest/Untitled-1.png 

And it said that my device's drive is up-to-date
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/The_Quest/123.png 

Please help.
Nadir Ali- Aug 30, 2013 07:04AM
solved thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx alot
Nadir Ali- Aug 30, 2013 07:10AM
As you solved my this problem, I have another problem with my 1TB internal desktop harddisk, it was a dynamic disk and suddently get painfully slow, I did everything to get it fast but when I replace a new hard disk the computer was back as it was working. So know I need that data in that hard disk which shows me in the computer management but with offline message. Any help will be appreciated

Nadir Ali
Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi Nadir Ali,

A screenshot of the "Disk Management" interface will be of great help in finding a solution. If possible please attach the screenshot of the Disk Management window with the offline Hard Drive shown.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thank you for replying me.
This is my Technical Details.
Capacity: 2.5 TB
Brand Name: Western Digital
Model: WDBAAU0025HBK-NESN
Hard Disk Size: 2.5 TB
Hard Disk Description: Desktop

And i can't find any firmware with this model.

when i tried to change the driver letter
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/The_Quest/Untitled-1.png

And it said that my device's drive is up-to-date
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/The_Quest/123.png

Please help.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi ella,

Yes, this works with pen drives as well. Please check the functionality of your pen drive in another computer.

This document entitled « External USB Hard Drive doesn't show up in My Computer » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.