Compaq Presario CQ60 won't turn on! [Solved/Closed]

LadyMC 4 Posts Saturday January 26, 2013Registration date January 26, 2013 Last seen - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM - Latest reply:  Ramon
- Jul 18, 2017 at 01:39 AM
Hello all,

We have a 2 year old Compaq Presario CQ62-210 w/factory installed Windows 7.

Nothing happens when turned on - no lights, no buzz from the fan, no nothing.

This is our backup computer which isn't used much - worked fine with last use, but has been shut down for several days since.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Thanks!! --MC
See more 
4Posts Saturday January 26, 2013Registration date January 26, 2013 Last seen

36 replies

jack4rall 6524 Posts Sunday June 6, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus December 30, 2015 Last seen - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
+11
Helpful
Hello,

Try this 1

Unplug the power cord --> Remove the battery --> Hold the power

button for 60 seconds --> Connect the power supply then try to switch

ON the laptop and later put the battery back into the laptop.

Good Luck
Was this answer helpful?  
Omg I thought I had lost my dear old laptop to laptop heaven, have had it for a good few yrs. Google the problem, found this site, followed the steps thinking that this would NOT work and hey presto it works. Thank you VERY much ?
Worked a treat..thank you
Oh my goodness this worked love you!! Saved my life!
Thank you for this help!
LadyMC 4 Posts Saturday January 26, 2013Registration date January 26, 2013 Last seen - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM
+7
Helpful
Thanks to xpcman, my laptop is up & running -- what a great site this is!

Thanks!! --MC
nycbillhill 1 Posts Saturday September 6, 2014Registration date September 6, 2014 Last seen - Sep 6, 2014 at 06:58 PM
+3
Helpful
I usually unplug PC power cord, remove battery, re-install battery, plug in PC. This process works, but I do not know what is causing this issue.
Ambucias 47603 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus December 8, 2017 Last seen - Sep 7, 2014 at 07:10 AM
It's call "flea" power, over accumulated electricity.
+2
Helpful
I don't know why, but amazingly this worked!
Thank you
I've had the same problem several times over the years, and it's always worked like a champ...just pop out the battery and keep it unplugged for a few hours, then boot from A/C power . But, now, I have the same problem again and all the power-related solutions are not working. Obviously, there are other issues that can cause the same symptom. Since the power lights came on momentarily (about 1 sec) before shutting down, with no error codes, I can only assume that it's not RAM-related. That pretty much leaves the motherboard. Sometimes, you just have to accept the inevitable...computers don't last forever.
This trick does NOT work when you do not see the LED light up by the power connector. The Compaq/HP CQ, or G 60/70 series is known for shorting out one day and not working ever again. You need to pull the board and check around the area of the board that the connector for the power jack plugs into. You'll probably notice a bubble on the connector around one of the two + wires (red), indicating a power surge/overheat. Replace the motherboard.
Helpful
had same problem. laptop boots for a while and then turn himself off.
problem was the power suply.
instead of giving 18.5 volt that the laptop required it was giving only 14 volts.
replace of the powersuply fixed it