How to display external USB on computer?

Solved/Closed
Anton179 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday November 16, 2013 Status Member Last seen November 16, 2013 - Updated on Jan 10, 2019 at 02:31 AM
 Checkpoint_101 - Jul 17, 2017 at 07:10 AM
Hello,

I would like to open up this previously solved topic again as I am having the same problem on Windows 7 with a Samsung 500 GB External USB HDD. I can see the drive under my devices. I can update the driver but when I try to access it, it does not exist on my computer.

Here is what I did to do the Diskpart check:

1. Clicked Start and type Diskpart in the search box.
2. Right-click diskpart in the search results > click Run as administrator.
3. Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter.
4. You should notice that you will see your 2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.
5. Type select volume 1 (replace 1 with the volume number assigned to the Hard Drive in question).
6. Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).

But, the issue is major. My volume does not exist in the list.
System Configuration: Windows 7 / Internet Explorer 10.0
Related:

4 responses

Hi,

I read it somewhere and sharing it here:

Thank you for the detailed description of the problem. I see that you receive this error message in Disk Management console:

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

Try using the below mentioned steps and see if the issue is fixed:
  • Click Start and type Diskpart in the search box.
  • Right-click diskpart in the search results > click Run as administrator.
  • Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter.
  • You should notice that you will see your 2 TB Western Digital Hard Drive, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.
  • Type select volume 1 (replace 1 with the volume number assigned to the Hard Drive in question).
  • Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it).

Hope, it helps!
Thanks a Ton, it worked for me
abrogard Posts 7 Registration date Monday November 2, 2015 Status Member Last seen November 9, 2017
Nov 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM
I just got a Seagate 4T and have the same problem. Two of my computers cannot see it.
Though both report installed okay and ready for use.

I think it is a Seagate problem. that's why they are selling them cheap.