Wifi connection will not appear on my laptop it is a toshiba

Closed
Jade - Feb 1, 2015 at 11:31 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 2, 2015 at 08:40 PM
Hello,

My wifi connection will not appear on my laptop it is a toshiba laptop, it connects to my other laptops and phones but will not appear on this toshiba, help!????:(

Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Feb 2, 2015 at 08:40 PM
Hi Jade,

There are 3 possible causes I can immediately think of here

1 - the icon is hiding behind an arrow by your clock. If you have your task-bar at the bottom of your screen, then by the clock are (usually) some icons(the "notification" area). The left most one (unless you have a regional keyboard set up, in which case this will be the second from left) could be (usually) an arrowhead pointing left. Click on this and you might see the wifi icon. Im sorry I have used the word "usually" so much, but computers can be set up not to show these.

2 - The icon might have been set to hidden. Right click the task-bar and choose "Properties". I have Windows Vista set up here and cant remember anything above, but there should be a setting that allows you to show or hide various icons. Have a look at these and set the network icon to be shown always.

3 - There is no network card installed, or the drivers are not installed. To check, from the start menu right click "Computer". choose "Manage". when the window opens (it could sake a few seconds) click on "Device Manager". If there are any items with an exclamation mark on them then usually the drivers are not installed. You can right click on them and choose "Update Driver" and hopefully if you are connected to the internet (with a wired connection) then Windows will find a driver that works.

If there are no icons with exclamation marks then the drivers are ok, but the network card might not be installed in your system. To check this double click on the Network heading on the right hand side of the Device manager. Check that the wireless card is there. if it isnt - its not installed.

Let me know how it goes.