Windows 10 does not recognize my external hard drive

Solved/Closed
Angrymennn Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen January 18, 2016 - Jan 18, 2016 at 12:36 PM
 Angrymennn - Jan 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM
HI
i have an harddrive this is of my old laptop and known l wanna to use it as external harddrive but it does not recognize in windows 10 when I connected the cable to USB port said G/ or C/ not accessible or not responsible

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 19, 2016 at 03:07 AM
Hi Angrymennn,

What are you using to connect the drive, SATA to USB cable or an enclosure? Sometimes the error message may be related to connectivity problems. I suggest you to try with another cable and on another PC. Do you have important data on the drive? If you to, connect the drive to a desktop PC, using a SATA connection, backup your information and format the drive. Try to reconnect it to your laptop. Search for it in Disk Management. Does it appear with correct drive letter and file format?

Hope this helps

thank you for answering my questions.

My important image and videos on HDD, I connect the hard by same cable to TV it work
but not recognize or I the partition of my hdd for a few second and open for 5 second and it does not contain anything on laptop.
i use SATA to USB cable.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Angrymennn
Jan 21, 2016 at 06:34 AM
Have you tried on another PC? I recommend you to search for the drive in Device Manager, under USB devices. Uninstall the drive and restart the PC. Plug the drive back in and check if it is visible. Open the drive manufacturer’s web page and search for Windows 10 driver updates.
Since you have important data on the drive, try booting from Linux Live CD. You may be granted access and the chance to copy your data.
Does I can test it by installing ubuntu on virtualbox?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Angrymennn
Jan 25, 2016 at 04:23 AM
I believe you should not have problems installing Linux using VirtualBox. I recommend you Live CD, because no installation is needed. You only need to boot from the CD/USB. This could be a faster way.
Dear R2D2_WD
Thanks so much for taking the time to help with my problem