Ask a question Report

How to connect PS3 to my laptop [Solved/Closed]

shen - Latest answer on Nov 21, 2013 11:38PM
Hello,i want to buy a PS3 but i dun have a desktop monitor to play.
can anyone teach me how to connect PS3 to laptop's screen to play?? My laptop gt HDMI.
Read more 

moins plus
Just seen this as I was heading to window-shop a CQ-61, but having experienced HDMI problems in the past i'll try and give you a quick reply.

Your laptop has a HD Media Interface socket, which is, if you check your laptop specs, almost certainly an Output Interface.

Your PS3, is also an Output Interface. Your Laptops HDMI port needs to be an input for it to recieve a signal, and i'm afraid that would require expert knowledge of HDMI circuitry and a solder iron for that idea to become a reality, which is of course after you dissassemble your laptop and void any kind of warranty.

What would I do?

Just get a TV, doesn't have to be "Full HD" , as i've found that HD ready TVs can display a 1080p signal using a PS2/3 component cable

moins plus
you guys saying it works with an output are idiots. you need an hdmi INPUT not OUTPUT. you most likely do not have an input, so you need to buy a tv tuner

moins plus
Actually there IS a way to play ps3 on laptops. There's a cord you can buy so that your laptop becomes a receiver. I've seen it done and have been thinking about doing this myself. It's called Easycap, you'll have to google it to find out where to get it. But I have a question for you - why would you buy a ps3 if you didn't have a TV to play it on? Isn't that kind of ....well I don't know - - - redundant?

Notez- Nov 13, 2013 07:58PM
nothing is redundant... a question is a question an this is one ive been racking my brain on aswell... Im able to play on a monitor but not a laptop...The same model n everything... HP Windows 8....Still.......No dice...smh
William- Nov 21, 2013 11:38PM
some people (like myself) want to connect the ps3 to their laptops or pc's to record
moins plus
you cannot connect a ps3 to a laptop throught a hdmi cable because all laptop hdmi r outputs noy inputs

WorldEliteGamer- Oct 16, 2013 07:21AM
Actually there are laptops that have an HDMI input.
moins plus
can't be done with hdmi

there seems to be a way to do it using the composite cables though

look around for composite to usb maybe

moins plus
thank you now thats a answer that makes sense

moins plus
answer NO, the HDMI port is configured for output only, this is the answer I keep getting LOL

moins plus
it does not.
It just gives you an HDMI input to connect TVs.
So given that the idea others threw that with a tuner one can display ps3 in a laptop's screen, if you go buy a tuner with HD support (apparently having HDMI input) you are done.

If I were you I'd youtube it first...

An alternative is to bo buy an HD monitor. sold cheaply!

This document entitled « How to connect PS3 to my laptop » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.