WD Passport - Files went missing

Closed
redeleon Posts 2 Registration date Thursday January 12, 2017 Status Member Last seen January 12, 2017 - Updated by redeleon on 12/01/17 at 05:14 AM
NonBer0 Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday February 22, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 22, 2017 - Feb 22, 2017 at 02:09 AM
Hello all and this is my first post,

I have a WD passport external hard drive (1TB)
I have copied my files to this drive and then suddenly most files were lost

I have tried to research for a way to recover the files
I have tried the following software(s)

1. recuva
2. disk digger

but the files cant be found

also ran numerous antivirus programs (malware bytes, avast etc.)

i have tried to unhide the folders and unchecked the option to hide the system protected files
as well as the attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:*.*
but it returned an access denied error on the system volume information

I've also tried chkdsk.

mostly everything failed.

I ran out of options now and I badly need help as those files are so important

thanks!

3 responses

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Jan 12, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Hello redeleon,

Have you tested the Wd My Passport with our software for errors? It's called WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and can be downloaded freely from our official web site here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Cl0HeB
My advice is to run the extended test. Come back afterwards to share what happened.
Besides the programs mentioned by you, you could also try to access the data on your drive using Linux Live USB / CD. Within the Ubuntu forum you can see the steps how to make a bootable flash. Once you have downloaded the .iso file, change the boot priority on the computer where the USB is placed. It is done through the BIOS and you must change the boot priority to be from USB ports and not the HDD. When it boots from the PC, you have to click on try option and not on the option to install the OS.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted and good luck!

redeleon Posts 2 Registration date Thursday January 12, 2017 Status Member Last seen January 12, 2017
Jan 12, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Hi KY_WD

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my message,
I'll try the software you have mentioned as well as the Linux Live USB/CD

I'll post back here after i did those

thanks!