Modem is connected but not the internet?

Solved
makafalani Posts 2 Registration date Monday June 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2008 - Jun 17, 2008 at 09:18 AM
 Iamanidiot - Jan 25, 2019 at 07:57 AM
Hello,

I am sharing a wireless modem connection with my neighbour (long story - he has the modem and has loaned the secured access key to me) and he only just gave me the access key today. I initially had issues with connecting the modem (ie was recieving "Limited or no connectivity" messages even though I had a strong signal) until I figured out how to connect it [ie by changing the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings; User Configured to IP address:192.168.0.2; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0].

However, this has not solved the problem of connecting me to the internet! When I attempt to use ie7 to browse, I still get the error "Internet Explorer cannot display web page" even though the moden is definitely connected (55 packets sent, 0 recieved so far). Here are some things that I have done so far:

- In ie7, I made sure that under "Internet Options" , the "Never dial a connection" radio button is selected.
- In ie7, I have also ensured that under LAN settings, the "Automatically detect settings" tickbox is the only box ticked.
- In the Command Prompt, I ran a "ping" (ie ping 4.2.2.2) and the stats show no lost packets with an average round trip of 553milli-seconds. I guess this means that I do have a connection to a network (right?)
- In the Command Prompt, I also ran "ipconfig" which confirmed that my "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection" = Autoconfiguration IP address:192.168.0.2; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Still no internet and I am outta ideas!!!

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to make my internet connection work??
Related:

91 responses

tjmartineau Posts 38 Registration date Friday September 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2008 4
Sep 23, 2008 at 09:26 PM
To get to the config page...

Take your laptop and connect directly to your router.

Click start
then run
type 'cmd' then hit enter

type ipconfig
hit enter

the gateway ip address should be the modem's ip address. (Like 192.168.1.1 or something...)

Open up internet explorer, in the address bar, type that address, hit enter

Login - username is admin password should just be blank

The home networking thing....that's what we're going to accomplish here...
Hey so I have the same problem as above, and I was messing around on the config page. I reset the router/modem, and now I can't even access the config page. Any suggestions? Do I need a new router/modem and will it work with the ISP? Send me an email if you have something, I'd love anyone's anwers to this. After I do connect to the config page, what settings do I need to put in? I messed it up and lost internet, though the DSL light works, ports work, cable works. I know enough to screw it up, not enough to put it back together again. Thanks,
Hal
htyler > htyler
Oct 1, 2008 at 05:47 PM
Well, not exactly the same problem. I can connect (sort of) to the network, it gives me an IP address but no DNS clients when I check it through msconfig. I assume that means the DNS isnt working, how do I fix that? I can't even connect to it....
Thank you for your clear help with others. It solved my problem. If you every get to southern California, call me and I will buy lunch. Dr. J Preston
hi, I have a problem that my comp. is connected but I cant work on it.i am unable to open anywebsite.plz do u have any solution 4 tht.I have a ptcl line connection .i have tried a lot by changing settings bt nothing worked.plz can u tell me any solution.
can someone please help me with this ?

i posted 2 posts above my problem and after checking some things,that the update :

i am getting everything ok,only I am receiving the ip address as : 169.xxxxxx wich is invalid IP and I trie to reinstall the ethernet and still the same problem,i tried another comp and the internet is working great.
so the problem if from my laptop.i even bought new ethernet adapter and I disabled the old one and still the same problem,so I dont really undertand,because if its not from the ethernet card,then what is the problem ?
evnthou I format my HDD and installed new XP windows version to be sure,it wasnt a bug or virus or software error.
hanibal -

I've had the same problem which started strangely at about the same time you reported yours...~4 weeks ago.
I don't have a full fix yet, but have traced part of the problem to an infection by a DNSChanger trojan which Norton didn't pick up. All the connections that were assigned were of the "169.xxx.xxx.xxx" variety.
I have a Dell Dimension 3000 using Windows XP as the os.

Running CounterSpy did ID one of the culprits, as well as a few other malware programs on my desktop PC. Unfortunately, I had to call my ISP to make sure the modem and DSL service were both intact & functioning. As of this moment, I can get to the internet ONLY BY TYPING IN THE IP ADDRESS of the site I want to visit...and even then I cannot use any of the links on the target page which require a DNS. If the links are IP addresses then it apparently works fine...but who does that on their websites these days?!

Get a free trial of CounterSpy, or other anti-malware, run it & quarrantine the indicated programs after creating a system setpoint. You may have to call your ISP & get the DNS addresses, etc, and force your machine to use them until you can isolate the keys in your registry which have been corrupted. The place to do that is in the connections tab of the IE you're using.

I have a new ethernet card from NetGear which is performing fine (the computer's built-in adapter I have deactivated for now), and had swapped out the modem for one I knew was working OK. Both are working fine, and my connection to the DSL is not in question. All the drivers for my original Intel Pro VE card were reinstalled from the maker's website, though they proved NOT to be the problem.
There is a trojan in my machine somewhere, but I'm still trying to pin it down & kill it. I'll be running through the registry with REGEDIT later today to see if I can find the "169.*" addresses in there.

And w/o internet ability, it is even harder to update anti-spy/malware definitions, and I have to ferry those items by mem stick to the infected desktop from where I am now (work). Whatever the thing is that's infecting my machine, I think it's a newer variant of the DNS trojan....

If/when I get the final fix or ID of the offender, I'll post more details.
Hannibal,

If another computer works fine, you've tried another NIC, and reformatted/reinstalled. The problem could very well be you network cable. You didn't mention that you've changed that.

Wee Alec's post might work for him, but you're not going to have that problem because you know your internet works just fine with another PC. You also have reformatted your hard drive, which is a simple way of erasing a trojan that is on your hard disk.

I've been on vacation with no internet for a while, so my apologies for not getting back to anyone. (It was a great month though!)

TJ
bor86 > TJ Martineau
Dec 1, 2008 at 01:29 PM
hello I have loptpo but I dont have internet how can go to internet help plz
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45 > bor86
Dec 1, 2008 at 03:40 PM
you can go wired or wirelessly, read you Windows or other operating system's Manual first! Press F1
wcb1689 > GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008
Dec 13, 2008 at 12:13 AM
i have a issue with my internet I can connect sometimes like right now but it disconnects and than I would have to restart my computer and it will work for a while than it will disconnect I was wandering if anyone can help me out I have a belkin router my roommate cant connect I ahve to router in the place I am staying so I would connect to the other one if my router dosent work but im sure my router is fine becasue all the lights are on the problem is with my comp
appriecente it if soemone help me
Gab2001 Posts 12 Registration date Friday September 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 24, 2008
Sep 24, 2008 at 05:36 AM
good morning TJ

Got it! I did get the IP address right and the login password is blank. Now I am becoming more encouraged. Next steps??? :-)

Catch you later.

Gab
i have similar problem, still cant make it done by now.

i & my friends, hangout at a restaurant with a wifi. all of them can connect the internet but not me. I even asked my friend to disconnect his connection to give way for me but still I cant connect to the internet (signal: excellent, full bar). while I have trouble to connect, another friend come & yes, he also can connect. so, the problem is from my laptop. I can connect at other wifi place but not that restaurant. I bring another laptop (working laptop), still cant connect.

ps: this is stupid. I even think that the modem/router/whatever recognize me and it hate me, wont let I connected. haha.. help pls.
tjmartineau Posts 38 Registration date Friday September 19, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2008 4
Sep 27, 2008 at 04:55 PM
Ran,

Follow the last steps that I just briefed Gab on. to see if that helps you.

Is this an open network, or do you need a passcode?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hello TJ

I did try to get to the config page. I got the box in which I entered admin and left the password blank but it's not giving me access.

Also I did as you said in this last message on my PC and the laptop and rebooted. The box was checked so I unchecked it.It still shows that the local area connection 2 is unplugged.

Thank you again for the follow-up. Much appreciated.
if you cannot gain access try admin as the pass and admin as the user most linksys routers are preconfigured with those set
Sep 28, 2008 at 04:57 PM
If the username and password aren't working, is it possible that someone got on your router and locked it? (Neighbor or other???) That's D-Link's default configuration, so unless you changed it, you may be better off resetting it and reconfiguring it from scratch. (There is a tiny red button on the back of the router, hold it in with a paperclip or a pen tip, count to 10, and let go. Wait a minute, and reconnect, then login.
Go to Wifi Configuration / modem configuration. Use Automatically assign DNS if the checkbox is not checked. It worked for me....
I don't believe anyone else got onto my router but I can certainly try to reconfigure it. I have not done it myself before. Is there anything in particular I should know about the process or should be aware of? I know I have to secure it and put in a password for access. Otherwise, is it easy enough for me to do it properly?

Thanks again.
Sep 28, 2008 at 05:49 PM
Did you reset the password when you first installed it? If so, find your documents and see if you wrote it down. Reconfiguring it after factory resetting it is simple, it may even have a wizard if my memory serves me correctly.

Try it and if that still doesn't work, send me a personal message and we're going to get together virtually and fix this.
TJ, I got it! I got on to the D-Link page. How do I see on the status page if the laptop is the only one there?
the laptop is the only one connected, just so you know.
hello TJ, more info on what I have found. I found the DHCP page. Server is enabled. Static DHCP is disabled.Dynamic DHCP client list shows only the laptop. Does that help?
Sep 28, 2008 at 07:51 PM
hello TJ, more info on what I have found. I found the DHCP page. Server is enabled. Static DHCP is disabled.Dynamic DHCP client list shows only the laptop. Does that help?

Yes, it helps. your server is enabled, so it should be giving out IP addresses to devices connected either physically, or wirelessly to the router. That being said, your connected wirelessly with your work laptop, and you want to be connected wired via your PC and wirelessly via your daughter's laptop correct...

Start with your daughters laptop, turn off the wireless, connect an ethernet cable to the proper port on the laptop, and the other end on the router, see if it get's an IP address and can get online. If it does, you should see it as a client in the status page of the router, if it does not, the ports on the router are bad, or the DHCP server is corrupt and that is your issue. Do the same thing with your PC. If it doesn't work the first time, change ports, change cables too if need be.

If it is saying media disconnected on the PC still, even when plugged in, look to see if there is a "Link Light" on the port of the router that the PC is plugged into, if not, change ports, if that still doesn't fix it, and the cable has been swapped with one that you know works, your router has bad ports...

Try that and get back to me with results....we'll work on the wireless after we can establish that the DHCP server is working as it should.
Thanks TJ. Ok, for starters, and I should have been clearer on this, my daughter's laptop has been connected directly to the router via an Ethernet cable all week and it is working perfectly. media is connected and on the router status page, I see the laptop.

The adapter I used on my work laptop, I put on my PC to see if whatever we did with the router would allow it to connect wirelessly, which is what I want to achieve. Before I moved it to the other room, my PC was connected directly to the router.

So I guess that confirms that it's working fine. Is that what you were looking for? GAB
Me again. As another test, I took the adapter back to my work laptop, got on the Internet and came back to my daughter's laptop (which is connected via cable) to check the status page of the router and I see both laptops now.
Just want to let you all know that I finally able to fix the problem. I ended up with rebooting my router, then more trouble as I could not even connect to the Internet while being connected to the router by cable. Did the reboot thing again and in the process, I was learning stuff on how to do this. But still didn't work. Before calling a IT person, I tried one more advice I received and that was to disconnect the Internet cable from the wall, which is what I did. What do you know, everything was working fine once I put in the password for the router. My PC and laptop are now wireless completely. Hurray. Hope this will help others too.

Gab
shaun99900 Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday October 1, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 3, 2008
Oct 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM
hi, i'm havin trouble with my internet. I have a wireless netgear modem connected to my pc, and I have been using it to connect wirelessly to my laptop for the past 6 months. to connect to it I just click the icon on the bottom right of my screen, on the menu bar next to volume and battery power. well I used to click that and then it showed the wireless networks nearby and my netgear used to be there. but now it just says "windows cant find any networks" so when I click diagnose why windows cant find any networks it then says "this computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured. So I don't know what that means and when I click on the "install wireless networking hardware, and verify that the correct drivers are loaded" it just comes up with the troubleshoot thing which I have looked through all over and theres nothing about installin a wireless network adapter (which also doesn't help as I don't know what one of those is) the 3 links on the troubleshoot are "I just installed a new hardware device, and it is not working correctly" , " my device used to work, but now it doesn't" and "I can't connect to the internet to update my drivers" so I dunno which one is most helpful anyway but iv looked on all of them and tried doing stuff with them but nothing has helped. Does anyone know what the problem is? If you do could you please tell me a step guide to workin out why it's not showing my netgear in the wireless networks and says there isn't any when I have my netgear on and is workin fine. thanks
TJ, I want to thank you for helping out. You've been amazing and it was greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.
Hi
I am having exact problem as you do. did you find a solution?
if so please tell me what you did.
tk
I see I missed details. There is 1 destop and 2 laptop.
mine window XP, it shows "Limited or no connectivity" but for few seconds at the beginning it says conneted. I lost connection two weeks ago.
I tried connection using the blue wire from my modem to my laptop still the same problem. I use D-link router. But the other laptop is workin fine.
If yourcomputer is telling you that you cannot start a connect because media is disconnected: go to control panel, administrative services (maitenance if you are using icon view) and open up services, scroll toward the bottom and stop then start net zero config.

This gets reset whenever you change from windows' wireless service to another, adaptor service. Once you've reinitiated the window net zero service you can refresh local wireless points with your properties function of your wireless connection.

Hope this helps
C-BASS > Blue
Dec 30, 2008 at 08:46 PM
Your my boy BLUE!!!

I tried everything before I got to your thread. This was exactly the problem. I think the cause or conflict is easy to trip on. My situation for example was using a Dell desktop with a wireless adapter of the same make of the the router. (Linksys) The wireless adapter comes with a software called "wireless network monitor". Which conflicts with Windows XP Wireless assistant. Out of desperation, trying to make anything work, you switch between the two hence the cause of the actual problem. I have since removed the "wireless network monitor" that came with the wireless adapter as it is not needed. Then I made the described changes to wireless zero config like suggested. Like magic, everything is a go and working great!! I have spent hours working on this and have learned a great deal. I just wanted to make sure to say thank you Blue because I really appreciate the hours you have spent trouble shooting to make suggestions. You-da-man!!!! If anyone needs anything or has questions, feel free to shoot me an email at Email Id removed for security
ltownzharmonizer
Oct 18, 2008 at 05:57 AM
See I have a lil situation 2... see it's just the oppisite though
My internet is connected it works fine but it's saying my network isn't connected.,,, I don't understand what that means? I've looked at pretty much everything I could think of...
I've been trying to connect this wireless router but I don't know what the hell my uncle did 2 it.
It was working fine until he was working on another pc @ my house.... please help... i'm lost. I'm not sure if he deleted programs or what but I have the CD 2 upload it but it want connect. I know for sure 100% that my wires are all correct and it says it on the router.
See there's suppose 2 be 5 lights on but there's only 2 on. those 2 are router and wires (Wireless, Router, Wires, Moderm, and Internet)
Moderm is on and is working fine... all lights are on and the internet is working fine on my desktop
the wireless isnt working b/c the moderm and interent on the router doesnt happen 2 be "on".... I'm confused... I'm pretty sure I confused u 2
cant get on the internet when I try to get on all iget is a black shreen that says NTLDR is missing press Ctrl+Alt+del to restart