my computer at home could not start it keep displaying <window root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt reinstall.so I try to reinstall but I don't know the program to follow.can somebody help me out.
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
TRY THIS ONE. insert the windows xp operating system and restart the pc, when it boot press any key to boot from cd then wait a while, when you've already see the press F3 (REAPAIR) press F3 then follow the instructions written there.
If you wish to re-install windows you will need the windows XP installation CD ROM!
Just boot using the CD! change the boot priority to CDROM!
Then your pc will start using the CD, follow the instructions,
Choose the partition where you want windows to be installed!
Remember that you will lose all your data on your drive!
i had this issue too, I couldn't load windows because of the following error <windows root>system32/hal.dll was missing.
My HP computer came with recovery partition so I had no XP cd. however when I booted into recovery mode all I got was the blue crash screen with white writing.
i could view the HDD using another operating system (thank you Linux mint 8, its free, better and faster than windows) to recover any data and search for the missing files and to replace hal.dll then I noticed the entire system32 folder was missing (yes I made sure hidden files were revealed)
i obtained an XP cd but this only brought the same blue screen back before giving me the option to recover.
The solution for me was this.
I obtained a HP recovery DVD which at 1st only seemed to give me the option that already existed which was boot to recovery partition. but this time the cd made it work.
i tried recovering windows with it, it said I was successful but I had the same error relating to hal.dll
i went back again and done a destructive recovery with great success I got my windows xp back to its default factory state.