My computer starts for 10 seconds to 3 mins then shuts down

Closed
Idontevenkn9w - Apr 14, 2022 at 06:31 PM
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 - Apr 25, 2022 at 03:25 AM
Hello,
Everything I try to start up my computer I let it run for a few seconds then shuts down and starts back up and I keeps doing that for like 8 times then it just stops turning back on. This is the first time this has ever happened and I dont know what to do

System Configuration: Android / Chrome 100.0.4896.79
Related:

2 responses

Irina2207 Posts 46 Registration date Friday January 21, 2022 Status Member Last seen June 26, 2023 33
Apr 15, 2022 at 02:31 AM
If your computer turns off immediately or even within a few seconds after it is turned on, there could be several possible issues.

Loose cable
Make sure all cables inside the computer case are firmly attached to the motherboard and each component. Check the IDE cables and SATA cables, which are connected to the hard drive, CD or DVD drive, and floppy drive (if present). Check both ends of each cable and make sure they are firmly attached to the component and the motherboard. Turn on the computer and test to see if this resolves the issue.

Surge protector issues

Surge protectors and battery backup units can go bad over time, causing reduced power flow to the computer. As computers require a specific amount of power to operate, too great a reduction can force the computer to shut down.

If this situation applies to your computer, unplug its power cord from the surge protector or battery backup unit, and plug it directly into a wall outlet. Turn on the computer to see if the problem persists. If the computer stays powered on, the surge protector or battery backup unit is bad and needs to be replaced.

Electrical short

An electrical short in a computer, which may cause power issues, happens when pieces of metal cause a path for electricity to flow through that shouldn't exist. Computers are full of screws, as they hold nearly every internal component in place, and from time to time, they can come loose. Lift your computer and gently rotate it while gently shaking it from side to side. If you hear what sounds like small rocks banging around, you likely have loose screws inside the case. Open the computer up and remove them.

Memory issue

Verify the memory modules are properly seated in the memory slots on the motherboard. To do this, open the computer, remove the memory modules from their slots, and gently reseat them. It also is important to note that memory modules are installed in pairs, and sometimes in matching slots, which are designated by matching colors. Make sure the modules are firmly seated and the clamps on both sides of the modules snap into place. Plugin the power cord and turn the computer on to see if the issue is resolved.

Possibly defective power supply

Verify the power supply is functional. A faulty power supply can result in not enough if any, power getting to the motherboard, causing the computer to shut off immediately or not turn on at all.

Overheating

If your computer is new or the motherboard was recently replaced, make sure the thermal compound is properly applied to the processor. If the heat is not being properly transferred from the processor to the heat sink, it can overheat very quickly. Because of the potential of damage to hardware that overheats, if the computer exceeds a set temperature, it is automatically turned off.

Motherboard issue
The last thing to check is the motherboard; however, this can be rather difficult since the issue could be anywhere in the circuitry. A faulty, failing, or malfunctioning circuit or component (e.g., capacitor) can cause the computer to shut off immediately or not turn on at all. If none of the recommendations above help resolve the issue, we suggest sending the computer to a repair shop or replacing the motherboard.
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Apr 25, 2022 at 03:25 AM
Hi,

Irina2207 has suggested almost all the causes that could be behind this issue. However, to me, this issue directly indicates that your system's motherboard is not working properly. To deal with this situation, I would suggest you to take your system to the repair center but first, take a backup of your data if possible.