Acer DVD/CD not there [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello,

I just bought an Acer computer with Vista self extracting files. Set it up last night but it doesn't see the DVD/CD-ROM. There is no drive letter for it and no CD devices shown in the device listing.

I am new to Vista and have no idea how to have it recognize this drive. It does see the USB and memory card drives, but nothing for the CD.

The CD does work i.e. has showing power to it. Because I have no disk (self extract) I can't just re-install.

Thanks
System Configuration: Windows XP Firefox 3.0
See more 

2 replies

Best answer
approved by Ratnendra Ashok on Dec 30, 2018
Thank you
Hi,
  • Start the Run Command Prompt
  • Type in regedit without the parenthesis then click OK.
  • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CURRENT CONTROL SET > CONTROL > CLASS.
  • Then find
    4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

The whole thing looks like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  • Then delete the upper and lower filters.

Hope, it will work!

Say "Thank you" 141

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 5777 users have said thank you to us this month

THANKS THIS WAS SOOOOO HELPFUL. IT WORKED AND I AM VERY THANKFUL!!!
hey I have same problems, ( on and off) but I cant find any filter only 4 folders 0000, 0001, 0002, and Properties that I cant open ...any ideas
thx in adv
Hi this fixed the problem for 24 hrs, but CD drive no longer works again? Any ideas?
It worked for me thanks,
tHANK YOU!!

You've saved my poor old acer to see another day.
Thank you
Right click My Computer or Computer and go to properties. Go to Device Manager or the equivalent of that. Find you Dvd/Cd Drive. Right click, and then scan for hardware changes. That should bring it up and this is very simple to do.

If no reinstall the driver, thats almost always a fix.
Thanks, it worked
Worked like a charm!!! Thanks :)