Laptop cannot start to welcome screen [Solved/Closed]

itschlub 2 Posts Thursday November 13, 2008Registration date November 14, 2008 Last seen - Nov 14, 2008 at 12:20 PM - Latest reply:  Habib
- Feb 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM
Hello,
my laptop is a compaq/hp and its system is windows xp. When I press the on button, it goes to a loading screen with the hp symbol in the middle and "F10=ROM based setup" at the bottom. This is followed by 8 loud beeps. I'm then brought to a screen with a list of conflicts and "F10=ROM based setup" again at the bottom. If I press F10, I'm taken to a completely blank screen that continuously flashes between a lighter and darker black. If I just wait the same thing happens. Please explain and help resolve this problem! I can't even reach the welcome page!
Thanks!
See more 

5 replies

Best answer
Thank you
I had same problem. All I did is that when I turned laptop on I immeadiately started tapping the F1 key . It went to next screen like always. That is it. Hope it works for you.

fhensal

Thank you, fhensal 3

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1695 users this month

It worked like a magic
Thank you
look up agp440.sys on google your problem is the video drivers and you may have to re install windows
xpcman 19103 Posts Wednesday October 8, 2008Registration dateContributorStatus July 17, 2018 Last seen - Nov 14, 2008 at 02:00 PM
Thank you
If the beeps are all the same length it would be a video adapter problem. But, since you have a video display that does not seem likely. Is there a pattern (like 1 beep - a pause - 3 beeps - a pause - 4 beeps)?

You might try this sequence it might clear the CMOS memory.

1.) Easy way: Fn+11
- hold the Fn-key pressed,
- switch on power,
- continuously tap on F11
This will lead to the flashing LEDs, cycling on and off.

Letting loose F11, the machine will boot again and show the BIOS error-msg "162 system options not set". Use F1 to save the setting.

Caveat: All settings are set back to factory standard. You'll have to enter a correct date/time.
fhensal: I had same problem. All I did is that when I turned laptop on I immeadiately started tapping the F1 key . It went to next screen like always. That is it. Hope it works for you.

I have tried fhensal's method (F1). It worked like a magic. Please try this first.