Need Help With My Gateway

Solved/Closed
jbellard03 - Jul 25, 2010 at 08:37 PM
 jbellard03 - Jul 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Hello,
I hope there is someone out there who can help me. It would be greatly appreciated.
To start I have a Gateway computer Model # ATXSTF OXN Select K7-950. And I don't have any of the CD's for the computer.
So here is my problem, I turned my computer on this morning(mind you it was working just fine yesterday) and a screen comes up that only gives me a few options. The options are --- I have Windows XP (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514:service pacl 3 --- ( I don't know if you needed all that extra stuff but I thought I would put it on there anyway.

1. Safe Mode
2. Safe Mode with Networking
3. Last Known Good Configuration
4. Start Windows Normally.

I tried numbers 3 and 4 and when the computer restarts to try to do that, it goes straight back to that screen. I also was able to do a system restore. (The one that's already on the computer where you can go back to a certain date) And it seemed to work, except for I turned my computer off and back on again to see to if it would start windows properly and it went right back to that screen.
I really don't know what else to do?....

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 26, 2010 at 05:08 AM
Hello,

Click on "Last Know Good Configuration" option.

Improper shutdown will also result you with the "Advanced Options" screen. So

Shutdown your computer properly. You are not suppose to turn off the computer

directly, Shutdown the computer and wait for the shutdown process to get

completed.

Good Luck.
Thank you very much, but i've already done that. And it did not work
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jul 27, 2010 at 07:05 AM
Hello,
Try this 1.
Double-click on the "Computer" icon in the deskop --> right click on your OS drive ---> select "Properties" --->click on "Tools" tab ---> click on "Check Now" button ---> in "Check disk options" section, select the options "Automatically fix the system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" --> click on "Start" button.
Note : If windows failed to start normally then go to safe mode and follow the above insturctions.
Okay, I will try this but I have a question first... Do i do this in safe mode? or should i restore the computer back to a previous day and then do this?
Jul 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Hello,
If you are able to boot into windows normally then you can follow the above instructions in the normal mode.
okay the only way i can do that is if i restore the computer back to a previous date