Toshiba Portégé: Black screen

Solved/Closed
Dakota - Apr 15, 2012 at 04:45 PM
 abebe - Oct 7, 2015 at 07:46 AM
Hello,
My laptop (a Toshiba Portégé) is having problems with the screen. I was in the middle of using it when the screen went black, if you look closely you can see that the screen is on. When you restart it the screen works perfectly fine while its starting, however right after the "Windows is starting" screen the screen goes black once again. After looking closely I noticed it displays a message that reads "Your computer was not able to start...."
I was wondering how do you fix this? And why did this happen?
Thanks for reading, hopefully theres a solution to this.

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Apr 15, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Can you start the laptop in "safe mode" by pressing F8 multiple times after you see the Windows logo?
This will start the laptop in a lowest common denominator resolution and video driver. If this works then I suggest you revert the display adapter to its last setting. The hardware drivers that Microsoft includes in its updates can sometimes cause problems. Hardware drivers are best downloaded from the laptop manufacturer.

Good Luck
Thank you! Ill be trying this out. I did just get an update so this might be problem. Once again, th&nk you. :)
works perfect
i have Toshiba Portage R130 just 2 days old no warranty in my country it stays black even with the external monitor. All the other Leds are OK. tried to re seat the Ram no change.
any help....
thanks