Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. [Solved/Closed]

Registration date
Saturday April 13, 2013
Last seen
April 25, 2013
- Apr 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM - Latest reply:  Sila
- Feb 2, 2018 at 05:47 AM
PLEASE HELP!! I've been encountering this error lately. Every time I open a window and browse through the folders, I get this error message:

" Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. "

And when I click the link that contains the error report, I find these:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: wmvcore.dll
ModVer: 10.0.0.3706 Offset: 0007af61

If I click the "Don't Send" button on the error message, all the opened windows then crashes and I'm back from the start again..

But If I try to ignore the message by moving the error window/message in a corner and just continue browsing, a Dr.Watson Postmortem error message then appears and freezes my desktop. I tried to terminate Drwtsn32.exe in the task manager, but It just goes back to start again..

What do I do with this? I've already tried System Restore in normal mode & in Safe Mode but its still the same..

See more 

41 replies

Best answer
- Jun 12, 2013 at 05:36 AM
Thank you
go to start -> run and type "regsvr32 /u vsfilter.dll" (without the quotes) and press enter. then nothing happened except a message stating expired or something, then Go to start -> run and type - regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll click OK. Please let me know your problem solved or not leave a reply

Thank you, binumanamboor 10

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1655 users this month

Thank very very muchhhhhhh
To me it says windows cannot find regsvr32....
Worked for me - THANKS
Fixed the problem instantly. Thanks for sharing!
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Apr 13, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Thank you
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened. Now enter the below command.

sfc /scannow --> Press Enter.

Good Luck
Registration date
Saturday April 13, 2013
Last seen
April 25, 2013
- Apr 14, 2013 at 04:09 AM
Hello,
I have tried this one too, and It requires for a Windows XP Pro SP2 CD before it continues..
I don't have that CD since the OS was already installed time that I bought my PC..
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Apr 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Try clean boot and check if you are able to open browse the folders without any issue.
1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key)
2) Select the option "Safe Mode" and press Enter
3) Click on Start --> Run --> Type msconfig and press Enter.
"System Configuration Utility" will be opened.
Click on the "Startup" tab --> Click on the button "Disable all"
4) Now click on "Services" tab --> Check the checkbox "Hide All Microsoft Services" --> Now click on "Disable All" --> Click on "OK" button and restart your PC.
5) Log into your window normally and if a window appears regarding the changes that you have made, check the checkbox "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start" and click on OK.
Now check if you still having the same issue.
If it was successful then follow the step 3 and enable your startup items one by one and restarting your PC. Disable the unnecessary startup items.
Good Luck
Registration date
Saturday April 13, 2013
Last seen
April 25, 2013
- Apr 25, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Hello,
I already did as you instructed but still not working..

I have also recently found out that my Windows Media Player sends an error too.. When I open WMP, it opens normally but when I try to play a music on it, it gives me this:

" Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. "

the error report:

AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.3250 ModName: wmvcore.dll
ModVer: 10.0.0.3706 Offset: 00060930

it seems to have the same error with the Windows Explorer when it comes to the ModName(wmvcore.dll) , is it possible that they have the same problem source?
its working... Thanks. But Avira is not working what shall I do... Pls reply.
Thank you
Hello

Do you still need help with this? I had this problem a couple of days ago. I believe it is gone now.
I would like help to fix this problem
Dear all,

how to fix this problems

the error report:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ole32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0004f682
Thank you
I have exactly the same problem and is still suffering from it until now. I hope someone can help you with this cause it will probably help me too.