Videos downloaded not playing in VLC media player [Solved/Closed]

Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
- Jun 23, 2013 at 09:57 AM - Latest reply:  Bhupy Choudahry - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I have previously experienced no problems when I have downloaded videos from YouTube using Real Downloader and then viewing them in VLC media player. However, I have recently been experiencing problems in that while the videos still appear to download okay, they no longer play in VLC media player. (I have no sound or video although VLC shows the title and duration of the downloaded video.) Old videos which I had downloaded earlier using Real Downloader from YouTube still play perfectly okay in VLC media player. It is only new videos that no longer play. I have tried various titles but none of them play. Have YouTube changed their video coding recently to prevent videos downloaded from playing? I would point out that I have little technical knowledge.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.
See more 

30 replies

Best answer
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jul 5, 2013 at 06:07 AM
Thank you
Hello

After trawling the web and other forums, I have found a downloader that still plays You Tube music videos (even Vevo ones). It is the YouTube Video and Audio downloader (version 0.2.2) which is an Add-On for Firefox and plays them in the .flv format. it can be found here .https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/youtube-video-and-audio-dow/

One warning - it does not work in private browsing mode.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you, Kodika 33

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1699 users this month

Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 5, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
codec is not supported when appears we need to install the codecs pack for that media player.
Good to hear that a Firefox add-on is working for you. Since you are using the new add-on I would suggest you to disable the real downloader add-on from Firefox.
Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
- Jul 5, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Hello Jack, I have already removed the real downloader add-on from Firefox.

Forgive me, I have little technical knowledge. If the add-on is working, could you kindly explain what you mean when you say the codec is not supported for that media player and that you need to install a codec pack?

I appreciate your assistance.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 5, 2013 at 06:44 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
A codec that is required to play the file is not installed on the computer.
Click on the below hyperlink "Codecs" for basic information.
Codecs
Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
- Jul 5, 2013 at 06:59 AM
Hello

Thanks for the link Jack. I am still confused. As I am able to play videos using VLC Media Player using the YouTube downloader, surely that means that the Player must have the codec otherwise the video would not play?

Sorry at my lack of understanding.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 5, 2013 at 07:05 AM
Hello,
VLC player plays most of the formats when compared to other media players. That's the reason why most of them prefer using it.
Incase if you are getting an error message like codecs missing, it means that the necessary file which is needed to play that audio/video is missing and you need to install it.
Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
Jun 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Thank you
Hello,

Try this 1

First check the extension of the newly downloaded videos.

Click on Start --> In search box, type control folders and press Enter.

[If you are using Windows XP then type control folders in Run and press Enter]

"Folder Options" will be opened. Click on the "View" tab.

Uncheck the check box "Hide extensions for the known file types" --> Click on

"OK" button.

Now compare the extension of old and new video files.

[Note : Later undo the changes you have made by once again going to "Folder

Options" --> Click on "View" tab and click on "Restore Defaults" button --> Click

on "OK".]

If the extension seems to be different then try updating your Real Downloader.

Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jun 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Thank you
Thanks Jack for your continued assistance.

The version of Real Downloader is 1.2.0.144. The version of VLC Player is 2.0.7. Twoflower. Both were installed within the last two weeks so should be the latest versions. I find that I am unable to play any music videos on YouTube. I provide a link to one of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZfj2Ir3GgQ. I also provide a link to the debug file of another video which I pasted on http://pastebin.com/w9fuFafh.

From searching other forums it seems that the problems I am experiencing are widespread and have something to do with YouTube having made some changes to their website and the DASH format....whatever that is?

I still have no downloading button appearing with Firefox. It is present with IE9 but downloaded videos do not play.

Hope this is helpful.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jun 29, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Thank you for your inputs. I need to check few things.
Regarding Real Downloader 1.2.0.144, click on the below link
http://eu.realdownloader.com/realdownloader/
Below the download button you can notice that "Version: 1.2.0.144 | Updated: Aug 17, 2012"
It's updated on Aug 17,2012. If youtube changed its streaming then real downloader will adapt to those changes only when an update is made available about it. But without checking few things we can't come to conclusion. The problem might be with the Firefox browser. If it got updated to the latest version then it might be not full compatible with it.
Let me know your "Firefox" version also. I will update about the output once I finish few checks
Good Luck
Thank you
I would appreciate anyone's help in regard to my post of 23 June.

Since I last posted I have found that the Real Downloader "Download this video" button has disappeared from Firefox. (I suspect this may have something to do with me installing the latest Java update [Version 7 Update 25]). I also lost the button temporarily in IE9 but it reappeared after I disabled the Java(tm) SSV Helper. Downloaded music videos still fail to play (although a couple of news videos have downloaded sucessfully which play okay). However, the majority of content on YouTube still will not play after downloading with Real Downloader.

Does anyone how know I can fix Firefox and The YouTube problem?
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jun 25, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
First check the Add-ons in the "Firefox" to make sure that its compatible with the Firefox browser.
Open the "Firefox" --> Tools --> Add-ons. Now check the Real downloader add-on and make sure its enabled. If there is any compatibility issue then there you can see a message regarding the compatibility problem and the add-on in disabled mode.
You can also follow the instructions given in the below hyperlink "Real Downloader".
Real Downloader
Regarding particular files that are not being played, we would like to know the file extension of that particular file.
Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jul 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Thank you
Hello Jack

Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying now. When you were referring of the need to install codecs for video players, you were referring to other players which currently do not have the necessary codecs to play music videos downloaded from YouTube - not VLC player.

Sorry for the confusion.
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
- Jul 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Hello

Thanks for the link. I might try that.

Regards
Hello Kodika!

I am having the exact same problem with you I wouldn't be able to explain it better... However, I just tried the torch browser Jack suggested and my first try was a success... I am now downloading different utube videos in order to test it more. A small detail you didn't mention: I think that the file extension we used to have in the good old times when everything was working fine was .flv not .mp4. I don't know more, just trying to add my 5 cents of wisdom here...
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
- Jul 12, 2013 at 04:57 AM
Hello Kelly, thanks for the input . I have not tried out the Torch browser yet, as I am finding that the YouTube Video and Audio downloader is still working for me. (Please see my post of 5 July which appears immediately below my original question at the top of this thread.) You will note that I said in that post that the YouTube downloader plays videos using the .fly format.

If I experience problems with the YouTube downloader, I will certainly give the Torch browser a try. It is encouraging that it is working for you.

Incidentally, I am confused as to why my post of 5 July where I refer to my success using the YouTube downloader now appears at the top of my thread out of sequence rather than in chronological order?

I would be grateful if someone on this forum could explain that.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 12, 2013 at 07:33 AM
Hello,

Regarding flv and mp4, it all depends on the plugin we are using. Sometimes you get the option whether the output file need to be 3GP or Mp4. Some plug-in after downloading the flv file converts into MP4 format. Some plug-ins will download the flv format directly.

I am confused as to why my post of 5 July where I refer to my success using the YouTube downloader now appears at the top of my thread out of sequence rather than in chronological order?
Reason : Even other users find that solution to be useful and had voted as best answer. You can see the number at the top left side. So if any one votes a reply as useful then that reply will be moved to the top.

Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
- Jul 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Hi Jack.

Thanks very much for the clarification. It is nice to know that my post was helpful to other users.
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jun 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Thank you
Thanks Jack for your help, but I know that Real Downloader is up-to-date as I only downloaded and installed it on 15 June 2013 after having taken my pc back to factory settings. I believe my problem is related to the video files downloaded from YouTube not being able to be read by VLC Media Player, rather than a problem with Real Downloader itself.

I have since found from perusing Real's website that Real Player will not play YouTube videos either. It does VLC's previous behavior of playing it (acc to the progress bar) but no video or audio output. After checking Real's support page, it has this message at https://realnetworks.zendesk.com/entries/23698236 and says among other things:

"We are aware of a compatibility issue that is preventing some .mp4 files from playing in RealPlayer. Essentially, the files that are being downloaded are not actually MP4s but a new streaming format that is being misidentified as MP4.

Do you know how I go about opening a video file so I can upload a sample to http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ or http://www.embedupload.com?
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jun 25, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Thank you
Thanks once again for your help Jack it is appreciated. I checked that the Real Downloader Add-On was enabled. There was no compatibility issue.

I also followed the instructions given in the Real link you supplied but I am afraid that disabling Adobe MMS.cfg did not work either. The Real Downloader "Download this video" button still does not appear in Firefox.

The file extension of the videos I am unable to play in VLC Media Player are MP4s.
i am having the same problem with Firefox. Unfortunately Real player and Firefox is not compatible but the add-on button will appear in other browsers such as Google Chrome. However this will not rectify the problem you are having with VLC as I am suffering the same fate. I can however offer helpful advice for easier video download. you can use the Real player as a browser and download your videos directly from there. For example, open Real player, type YouTube in the search box and YouTube will open into another browser and once you start playing a video, the download button will appear. However not all videos will play in VLC. In the thumbnail of every video you may either see 'HD' or nothing at all. HD videos won't play in VLC. Hope this was helpful and VLC can rectify there problem asap!
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
- Jul 4, 2013 at 06:54 AM
Thanks very much for your input Minty. At present I have not downloaded Real Player, just Real Downloader as all the reviews say that VLC Player can play more video formats than any other player. However, I will now consider whether to download Real Player. Presumably, if I install Real Player I will not need Real Downloader as well and can uninstall that program?

Your assistance is appreciated.
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jun 27, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Thank you
Jack. Do you have any further suggestions following my post of 25 June?
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jun 28, 2013 at 07:38 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Try downloading that video from other application instead of Real downloader and check if you are able to play that MP4 file.
OR
Can you provide me the link of that video ? Also provide me the version number of Real downloader and VLC Player. I will update you about the result.
Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jun 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Thank you
Thanks once again Jack. My version of Firefox is 22.0 and it is up-to-date. I take your point about YouTube changing its streaming, which I believe they have done. However, would that effect all their videos, including those posted before YouTube updated?
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 1, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
The real downloader button is not appearing because your Firefox got updated to the version 22. Even if you reinstall real downloader, the download button doesn't appear. All you need to do is to use Firefox version 21.
If you want to remove the "Firefox 22" and use the "Firefox 21" then click on the below hyperlink "Firefox" and follow the instructions.
Firefox
At the right side, click on the "Download This Version".
Try to play the downloaded file in Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic and let me know about it.
Good Luck
Jul 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Thank you
Hi, I had the same problem, what I did was I installed klite codec pack and select all extensions for video and audio during installation and after installing the codecs, open your file in media player classic home. chances are it will work.
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jul 2, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Thank you
Thanks Jack for the suggestion, but I think I will stick to Firefox 22, rather than revert back to an earlier version. The reason is that I also use IE9 which does show the Real Downloader button. However, when I download music videos from YouTube they still do not play. So, I do not feel it is worthwhile going back to Firefox 22 just to get the Real Downloader button working as I do not believe the videos will play.

I have tried playing music videos downloaded with Real Downloader using IE9 in Windows Media Player but they do not play in that format either. I have not installed Media Player Classic. I might look into that, but I fear that they would not play in that player either.
Registration date
Sunday June 6, 2010
Status
Last seen
December 30, 2015
- Jul 3, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
The downloaded video was able to play in Windows Media Player\Media Player Classic. But had a audio problem. Seems to be some codec issue. Check if you are able to play in that.
Good Luck
Registration date
Sunday June 23, 2013
Last seen
July 13, 2013
Jul 4, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Thank you
Thanks Jack for the reply. I have tried again to play the video in Windows Media Player, but I am afraid it does not play for me (no audio or video). It identifies it as a mp4 file but I then get a message that the codec is not supported.

I am grateful for your help.