Dell inspiron 1525 over heats & shuts down?

Solved/Closed
black.pearl Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 22, 2009 - Updated on Sep 16, 2019 at 12:59 AM
 james - Nov 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Hello,

I am having a problem with my Dell Inspiron 1525. It is under one year old, but I noticed that this laptop will shut down while I am using it. last night this happened again, and it seemed to be over-heating. Nothing was blocking the air vent as I was working on the kitchen counter. I noticed very hot air coming from the vent at the back. So I unpluged it and left it over-night. This morning it seemed to be working fine, but I am very concerned as this keeps on happening.

The other thing is, this was bought in the US and I am now using it in the UK which uses a different voltage, however, I am using a dell original charger/power cable, (bought from dell) which should covert the current going to the laptop.
Lastly, this computer likes to restart when I've selected to shut down.

Any ideas would be a great help. Thank you!

I have Windows Vista basic.

System Configuration: Windows Vista Internet Explorer 7.0
Related:

56 responses

my laptop is doing the samething keeps over heating and shutting down, because my warranty is 2 months over the 1 year they wont do anything about it... I talked to a guy at best buy he said that some dell batteries had exploded because they over heated... he said they had recalls on some of them, but I looked, and I didnt see a recall on the 1525, but it makes me mad because I will be doing something and it just shuts down... and nothing is blocking the ari vents... its actually on a wooden table tray... argh!!!!
loonylovegood
Jun 21, 2009 at 03:20 AM
Well usually what I've noticed is when you're laptop keeps shutting down, that means one of your laptop parts has been damaged, and my guess is the hard drive..as when mines kept on shutting down I ordered a new hard rive and it worked fine when I installed the new hard rive..although like I stated previously in one of my posts, I wasn't able to save my work, so if you can keep your laptop turned ON for long enough to back up your work then please do...it was a bitch trying to get bits and bobs of my school work from college, my desktop etc...
it so gets overheated that it may blast anytime so now I m wearing helmet before starting my dell inspirion 15 r notebook and I m so inspired by this dell that I never gonna buy product from this brand ever and by facing these problems I might switch back to desktop the old school products has much better reliability.
working student
Jun 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM
took that thing apart and all I can say was WOW!!! a big clump of dust.. thx 2 the advice this thing runs great I got a cooling fan thing just incase now I can get back 2 my homework with out savein it every word I type..
I have the 1721 and it just died tonight and I'm FREAKING out!

I did use it on the bed often, then got a board under it when it started getting REALLY hot! But tonight it starts to turn on, then shuts off. I don't know if it's dead or not. It hasn't been dropped or anything and it's almost 2 years old.

I'd love an excuse to get a new one but this is my 2nd dell laptop that has died on me.

I tried taking all the screws out but only 2 compartments opened and they weren't the fan area. Not sure what else to do, been searching online. Warranty is up too.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!
im also having the exact same problem. never had the issue unti about 6-8months into owning it. randomly shuts down, sometimes restarts. also restarts sometimes when I select shutdown, and sometimes, usually I think after it ran out of battery life, ill plug the outlet into the wall and it will turn on my laptop. I dont know if thats spposed to do that( I highly doubt it), but its extremely frustrating. I thought I was losing my mind one day. ill try the dust thing now. btw, it seems to happen less often when im on power saver mode. when I bought this PoS 1525, the left side of the speaker is sticking up a little, and the one day I almost took it apart to to check for dust(with no clue what I was doing) I put the screw driver in a few of the bottom screws, THEY WERENT EVEN TIGHTENED. NEVER BUY A DELL EVER AGAIN PPL!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
my husband took the back off of mine as someone else has suggusted and blew the little bit of dust out( hardly nothing) and we will see if that works, but it is frustrating.... my warranty was 2 months over and dell wont do anything about it... they suck!!!
as I has replyed to Kitty My husband took the back off of mine as someone else has suggusted and blew the little bit of dust out( hardly nothing) and we will see if that works, but it is frustrating.... my warranty was 2 months over and dell wont do anything about it... they suck!!! this even happen when we keep it plugged into the wall just sitting there, we were told by a guy at best buy that some of dell desktop batteries had exploded, and were recalled, but I didnt find a recall on the inspiron 1525...
I mean the laptop batteries ( sorry)
I've been having the same problem with my Inspiron 1525. I realized it was overheating and that was because I was putting my laptop on my bed, which is the wrong thing to do. Once I moved it out of my bed and put it on a flat surface (table) it stopped shutting down. I'm glad...cause I thought it was some other problem. So the rest of you with this problem...I would guess it's because you don't keep it on a flat surface!! BY THE WAY you should all try buying a laptop cooling pad it costs like $20- 25 in Amazon
So the same thing happened to my inspiron 1525; overheating, shutting off fo no reason. Finally, it woul not turn on at all. After much stress and annoyance from Dell they came out replaced the motherboard and the graphics card and now it works like a charm!! But it was quite ridiculous to get it fixed!
I had the same problem. I bought mine in the U.S. and have been in India for a few months now. It's about to go out of warranty. My laptop was overheating and then finally shut down and wouldn't power back on. I updated BIOS, cleaned the dust, and changed a battery inside. I also got a different generic Dell charger. It was fine for a week or so and then it started again. I usually take out the battery, unplug the charger, hold down the power button for 60 seconds and then plug the charger back in. The charging light comes back on, and if it feels cooperative, it powers back on fine and then works for several hours at a stretch. Other days, it barely gets to load Vista before it shuts down again. I am hesitant to switch it off, but if I keep it on overnight, it somehow dies in the night. Someone said it might be a short circuit on a faulty motherboard due to power supply. Any idea why that happens? Also, my date and time reverts back to the manufacturer's date/time. Any help will be much appreciated.
ObieWan > Sachinky
Nov 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM
I have the same bloody problem with my (10 month old) DELL Inspiron 1525 and I have come very close to defenestrating it...It is totally frustrating. And similar to the other people above, I bought mine in South Africa and I now live and use it in Germany but I am using the exact power cable with which it came. ANy help will be greatly appreciated.
smiler03 Posts 1 Registration date Friday December 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 12, 2009 > ObieWan
Dec 12, 2009 at 05:25 PM
My Dell Inspiron 1525 used to shut down without warning all the time.

It was still under warranty so I contacted Dell. Loads and loads of decent telephone support later (more than one call and they called me) Dell did a return to base repair, aka RTB.

They replaced my motherboard (MTB on the repair slip) and also my cosmetically worn touchpad, even though it wasn't faulty.

The repair worked for a long time but after upgrading to Windows 7 it started shutting down without warning again. I did install a utility from https://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html which showed that my CPU was running at about 85°C. I know now that that is way too hot, it was also NOTHING to do with Windows 7.. that was a coincidence.

The solution is very simple, quick and free, so long as you have a decent SMALL jewellers type, phillips, cross head, screwdriver. You need to undo the biggest unscrewable (8 screws) bit on the underneath of your Dell, then undo the cooling system (this wasn't obvious at all to a novice) which has a big copper strip down the middle. There are five screws. This whole copper laden bit then lifts out (the screws won't come out fully, they are safely locked). With this whole cooling part is a "radiator" in the corner of the copper bit. You will probably find that this is caked with fine fluff/dust when you lift it out. Now you will know why the cooling system isn't working. I used a vacuum cleaner attachment to suck the crap out of it. Reverse the procedure and you have probably saved a lot of time, a lot of effort, a lot of money and have your Inspiron returned to new performance.

Best of all is a website which says this much more succinctly than me and has pictures too....
http://ccm.net/...

My thanks to that website!
Windows 7 User > smiler03 Posts 1 Registration date Friday December 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 12, 2009
Jan 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM
I have a Dell XPS Gen 2 and upon upgrading it to Windows 7 (from XP) it began overheating and shutting down when a graphics intensive game was running. By the way, after installing Windows 7, I was able to get the latest NVidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra driver from Microsoft Update. Without that NVidia driver Windows 7 was very slow so thank you Microsoft and NVidia for supporting this older laptop's internal graphics card. Anyhow, after reviewing this thread I bit the bullet and took the entire machine apart to see how much dust was in the CPU cooling apparatus. It was jammed full of dust so I blew it out with compressed air and then reassembled the laptop. The Dell instructions for doing this (see links above) made it much easier than I had anticipated and the entire process took about 45 minutes and required only a phillips head screwdriver. Since then I haven't had any CPU overheating problems and my old laptop now runs Windows 7 beautifully. Thank you all for this thread!
I have the same laptop and had the same problem. First I found that you shouldn't keep it on like a stone, or really any kitchen surface, or never on a bed but on your lap but dont let your thigh or knee to cover the slits on the bottom b/c the fan sucks air from the bottom out the back and dont let any thing block the slats on the back. Second it might be dusty as mine was just as its running blow as hard as you can from the bottom (close your eyes so you dont get dust in your eyes). Third you could try oiling the fan or take it to a professional to do it b/c they have the right kind of oil and knowledge (your fan should never be loud you should almost not be able to here it running and if you do then you know u need the fan oiled). Finally you could try just propping the back up with a book witch also gives a better typing surface. They also have fan systems that go under your laptop. My problem was a combo of dust and oiling and now mine works great and I get it very hot b/c I like gaming and some games will put stress on the video card and get it hot but it has not shutdown or restarted since.
I hope I helped!
I had the same problem. It has been happening all year, both overheating and shutting down, but also restarting when I want to simply shut down.

I called Dell and they updated my BIOS. That does nothing.

I sent it in and they had lost it for 2 weeks. When they finally found it, they said that they replaced the plastic portion of it because that model has a tendency to do that.

Very frustrtated and disappointed with Dell's service. I'm glad I got a 2 year warranty for this. I've had it for just about a year, but I know it's going to give me more problems.
Cheech Wizard
Jul 25, 2009 at 05:40 PM
Yep, had the same issue, and since I own an air compressor, I put the blow gun attachment on it and gently 'hosed' out the air vents. Now I can run BOINC, which runs the processors flat-out, without shutdown. Before, I had the CPU limit on BOINC set at 30% max processor utilization, and it was still shutting down an increasing number of times per day.

Assuming you don't own a compressor, a can of compressed gas 'dust off' from Best Buy etc would probably do a fine job...just be sure to do it outdoors....it's a lot of dust!
Secret most people aren't aware of to try.
Go to: Control Panel, Power Options, Power Schemes is the first tab.
Adjust it to whatever u need. This saved my friends laptop when I did it for them :)
>^..^<

The problem is the laptop shutting down to to over-heating, as you can tell by some of the complaints, it would happen mid-process (typing, gaming, etc). Changing the power scheme is not going to help in this case.
Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks! I just opened the back of my laptop, and deleted a 1cm x 4cm piece of dust!!! Before, the temperatures of the cores were 75-85C, right now they're 40-50C!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to hope that was the cause of the shutting down....

Thank you very, very, very, very much! Why doesn't the stupid Dell support tell to remove the dust... So easy..
DELL SUCKS ASS!!!!
Aug 12, 2009 at 02:49 PM
All of you are screwed. The same exact thing happened to me. It will continue to overheat and then it will eventually not turn on at all. I sent it out to dell and those bastards said that the motherboard died (like the RROD on Xbox 360). The thing that pisses me off is that eventhough my laptop is under 1 year old and still under the warranty, I have to pay for it to be fixed which came to $500.00. I have had nothing but problems with this piece of $hit Inspiron the whole 7 months I have owned it. Hard drive and dvd drive both died, screen stopped working, mouse didn't work, hinges came off, and the pover button didnt work. A word to the wise. NEVER BUY A DELL!!!!
My Laptop has been turned on since I removed the dust. No random shut down anymore for me!
I think you all have described a common problem with many Dell machines.

1) There is a wikipedia entry about a class action lawsuit against Dell - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron#Overheating. "In 2003, Dell released several lines of Inspiron notebooks which had cooling problems, causing them to overheat and damage the video card and motherboard, or to shut down automatically. Overheating in Inspiron systems is mainly caused by performance-consuming tasks and software. This problem was determined to be due to the design of the air-flow from the bottom of the system. Affected models include the Dell Inspiron 1100, 1150, 1525, 5100, 5150 and 6400. For more information on the 5100/5150 models in particular, see the following two links: Dell Inspiron 5100 Overheating Problem and Inspiron 5100 shuts down automatically."
Dell has acknowledged this problem and designed a new fan with a better heatsink and heatpipes to provide better cooling with less noise. Any repairs made at this point will include the redesigned parts.

The overheating problems on the Inspiron 5150 model was due to the position of the fan and fan-vent and the way in which it vents air through the CPU's heatsink.[citation needed] The fan draws air from underneath the unit and vents it through the rear after passing over the heatsink. However, the unit also sucks up dust from underneath it. Over time a buildup of dust constricts the airflow through the unit, reducing cooling. The airflow is perceptibly diminished. ...To remedy this the unit must be disassembled, the dust removed, and fan operation checked. This problem not uncommonly results in a CPU temperature-increase of between 15-20°C over an normally functioning unit. Further temperature increases may damage the casing of the unit. P asted from <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron#Overheating>
2) Instructions are now provided by Dell on how to clean out the CPU heatsink - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/SM/cpucool.htm#wp1179839
3) Great Youtube video as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh_6YWPomeQ
4) Bottom line seems to be to clean the dust as best as you can with frying your CPU with static electricity. I had to buy another computer because the problem was so bad - obviously not a DELL.
Hey All...

I've been having this problem snce month 1. I've tried everything, and the problem persists. Here's a list of things I've noticed about the problem. Many of these may be just my machine, so bare with e.

1. It SHUTS DOWN... it's not crashing, it's just shutting down, as made appearent by the fact thing it never offers a disk check or safe mode when you start it bact up. It -looks- like a crash (Suddenly powers gone), but I don't think it is.

2. It may not be as random as it may seem. It happens for me when I'm doing anything moderately process intensive, such as running certain games, and applications. Happens while playing WOW, while burning DVD's, even while running a windows slide show. Happens quite often when streaming video (Not so much with music), and has happend while vid's through media player. Oddly enough, I don't think it's ever done so while running Photoshop.

3. I initiall suspected an overheating problem (Which was a problem with another laptop had) so I purchased an external usb cooling pad (Fans and a usb hub in one), and it does wonders for the Acer (My old laptop) but nothing changes when I run it on my dell.

4. I've installed a second OS on the system (Dual boot), and expereinced the same problem while installing an MMOG. HOWEVER in ubuntu (The Linux OS I installed) the shutdown is much more apearent. It slips into shutdown mode, with the nice umbuntu screen as it's nice to the machine as it puts it to sleep. The weirdness however, is that the 3rd time it did -this-, it killed my boot loader.

This is a very intriguing problem, and I'd be inerested to see what different methods of trouble shooting turn up. For example, I'm wondering if blowing out the dell install of windows and installing from scratch will do. Also, what happens if you install a whole new hard drive. Mine is the core2 Duo 2ghz processor which is an upgrade I insisted on when I purchased it. Is this the same as any others experiencing this problem?
Try this link and follow. I did this and problem got solved. .
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/SM/cpucool.htm#wp1179839
The link provided at the beginning of the thread

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/SM/cpucool.htm#wp1179839

Worked like a $$@!%# CHARM!!!!!

When I took the thermal-cooling thing out, I could not believe how dirty and clogged it was. I've had my Inspiron 1525 for 20 months now. It started giving me heating problems around May-June... Today it just turned off (and it has a friggin' external fan I bought like a month ago), so I decided to look up the problem online and ran into this.

I cleaned all the ducts and the Inspiron internal fan seems to be working like a charm now! I could not believe it, since all the dust is caught up in the side of the vent that we do not see.

Amazing solution and thanks!
the same thing happens to me !! its stupid
i am 13 years old and my laptop does exactly the same thing.
as soon as I turn it on it gets really hot and turns off.
it is becoming annoying.
and I havent told my mum as I know its over 1 year old.
i would want to try andreas thing but I dont really understand it.
:S
i dont no what to do.
so I now have a big fan underneath my laptop which stops it shuting down.
but its rather annoying.