"File or directory is corrupted and unreadable" [Solved/Closed]

Jynxus 7 Posts Tuesday December 10, 2013Registration date April 18, 2014 Last seen - Dec 10, 2013 at 09:18 AM - Latest reply:  nahid
- Jan 10, 2018 at 03:20 PM
I have a Terabyte external hard drive that is filled to capacity with music, movies, pictures, accounts etc . All of a sudden it is no longer accessible on my laptop, or my television (through my blu ray player). All of the files are available when I connect it to my tablet (Acer 500). I attached the tablet to the computer, thinking I could load the files to the computer, but only the first three files show up and the computer only has 850 G of space. My computer skills are limited as are my funds! Can anyone help?
See more 

50 replies

Best answer
Jynxus 7 Posts Tuesday December 10, 2013Registration date April 18, 2014 Last seen - Dec 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Thank you
Hi: I tried that and I get the message: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode." I am running Windows 8. The command prompt comes up: C:\Users\Brenda> but, I am the administrator! What to do?

Thank you, Jynxus 5

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1258 users this month

Jynxus 7 Posts Tuesday December 10, 2013Registration date April 18, 2014 Last seen - Dec 10, 2013 at 02:02 PM
I went to the "help" page to get into the command prompt, followed your instructions and got back my entertainment! Thank you soooooooo much!
Jynxus 7 Posts Tuesday December 10, 2013Registration date April 18, 2014 Last seen - Dec 16, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Well, turns out that I only got about half of my files back, some still say that the file can't be run. I tried to run the chkdsk command again, but now I get the message that "the drive, the path or the file name is not valid." Any idea why I get that message? I really am somewhat computer illiterate.
floryde 4 Posts Monday April 21, 2014Registration date April 22, 2014 Last seen - Apr 21, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Hello my hardrive is doing the same, however it is saying it is RAW....can anybody help me...i am currently downloading a partition recovery toolkit as we speak. I really dont want to lose any work on here!
Turns out it was not the fault of the hard drive. I bought a new Blu Ray player and now I can access all of my videos. Unfortunately, I had started to delete a lot of the ones that weren't working. So, definitely check that before anything else. My clue happened when I attached the hard drive to a smart tv and all the files could be loaded. Thanks for all the help, though, I did learn a few things.
thanks you very much your idea worked.
carminabigue 621 Posts Tuesday March 19, 2013Registration date June 10, 2015 Last seen - Dec 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Thank you
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Since you are having problem with G & H drivers, enter the below command

chkdsk /f g: --> Press Enter.

chkdsk /f h: --> Press Enter.

Good Luck

Regards!
pappireddy 5 Posts Friday September 16, 2016Registration date September 16, 2016 Last seen - Sep 16, 2016 at 02:03 AM
Hello, sir plz help me
my hard disk showing the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in xp
i have two intel hard disk 1-500gb 2-220g

I ran the chkdsk command and it finished.
But now the file that was corrupted has gone
Thank you so much
I love you bro.
Thank you it worked on my WD 1 tb HDD :) :)
wooow I love you so much.
Thank you
Still having a problem with this hard drive. The message now tells me that chkdsk can't continue in audio only. Any other ideas out there?
pappireddy 5 Posts Friday September 16, 2016Registration date September 16, 2016 Last seen - Sep 16, 2016 at 02:12 AM
Hello, sir plz help me
my hard disk showing the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in
Windows XP
i have two intel hard disk 1-500gb 2-220g

I ran the chkdsk command and it finished.
But now the file that was corrupted has gone
Still having a problem with this hard drive.
Thank you
Thank you so much, I was at my wits end when I came across your advice, I had lost all the data on my 2T portable drive which I had put all my favorite shows on so the whole drive was full. Your technique worked like a charm and it opened my USB up in seconds after entering the prompts you gave. I had to put f f: I was having problems with that, so I was thrilled to find them all there and unharmed.
time god you saved my life
thanks a lot
catherine_WD 3 Posts Sunday January 3, 2016Registration date January 5, 2016 Last seen - Jan 3, 2016 at 08:29 AM
Thank you
Hi... I have a WD elements of which I tried to open it when the system prompted me with the following words:

"H: is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I had tried the suggestion of using "chkdsk /f h: --? enter"

The reply as below:

"The type of the file system is NTSF.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted."

What is wrong? I hope I can retrieve all the files inside the external HDD as I have plenty of important files and images inside. Thinking of losing all of them makes me sad. :(

Hope someone can shed some light on this matter.
Nanduni 1 Posts Saturday April 30, 2016Registration date April 30, 2016 Last seen - Apr 30, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Thank you very much. You saved my life.
joe1016zw 2 Posts Friday April 10, 2015Registration date August 30, 2015 Last seen - Aug 27, 2015 at 12:11 AM
Thank you
I am running Windows 8. The command prompt comes up: C:\Users\Brenda> but, I am the administrator! What to do?
right click in cmd , is the way administrator mode