"File or directory is corrupted and unreadable" [Solved/Closed]

Registration date
Tuesday December 10, 2013
Status
Last seen
April 18, 2014
-
 nahid -
I have a Terabyte external hard drive that is filled to capacity with music, movies, pictures, accounts etc . All of a sudden it is no longer accessible on my laptop, or my television (through my blu ray player). All of the files are available when I connect it to my tablet (Acer 500). I attached the tablet to the computer, thinking I could load the files to the computer, but only the first three files show up and the computer only has 850 G of space. My computer skills are limited as are my funds! Can anyone help?

6 replies

Registration date
Status
Last seen
April 18, 2014

Hi: I tried that and I get the message: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode." I am running Windows 8. The command prompt comes up: C:\Users\Brenda> but, I am the administrator! What to do?
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 4015 users have said thank you to us this month

Jynxus
Registration date
Status
Last seen
April 18, 2014

I went to the "help" page to get into the command prompt, followed your instructions and got back my entertainment! Thank you soooooooo much!
Jynxus
Registration date
Status
Last seen
April 18, 2014

Well, turns out that I only got about half of my files back, some still say that the file can't be run. I tried to run the chkdsk command again, but now I get the message that "the drive, the path or the file name is not valid." Any idea why I get that message? I really am somewhat computer illiterate.
floryde
Registration date
Monday April 21, 2014
Status
Last seen
April 22, 2014

Hello my hardrive is doing the same, however it is saying it is RAW....can anybody help me...i am currently downloading a partition recovery toolkit as we speak. I really dont want to lose any work on here!
Turns out it was not the fault of the hard drive. I bought a new Blu Ray player and now I can access all of my videos. Unfortunately, I had started to delete a lot of the ones that weren't working. So, definitely check that before anything else. My clue happened when I attached the hard drive to a smart tv and all the files could be loaded. Thanks for all the help, though, I did learn a few things.
thanks you very much your idea worked.
Registration date
Tuesday March 19, 2013
Status
Last seen
June 10, 2015
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Since you are having problem with G & H drivers, enter the below command

chkdsk /f g: --> Press Enter.

chkdsk /f h: --> Press Enter.

Good Luck

Regards!
pappireddy
Registration date
Friday September 16, 2016
Status
Last seen
September 16, 2016

Hello, sir plz help me
my hard disk showing the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in xp
i have two intel hard disk 1-500gb 2-220g

I ran the chkdsk command and it finished.
But now the file that was corrupted has gone
Thank you so much
I love you bro.
Thank you it worked on my WD 1 tb HDD :) :)
wooow I love you so much.
Still having a problem with this hard drive. The message now tells me that chkdsk can't continue in audio only. Any other ideas out there?
pappireddy
Registration date
Friday September 16, 2016
Status
Last seen
September 16, 2016

Hello, sir plz help me
my hard disk showing the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable in
Windows XP
i have two intel hard disk 1-500gb 2-220g

I ran the chkdsk command and it finished.
But now the file that was corrupted has gone
Still having a problem with this hard drive.
Thank you so much, I was at my wits end when I came across your advice, I had lost all the data on my 2T portable drive which I had put all my favorite shows on so the whole drive was full. Your technique worked like a charm and it opened my USB up in seconds after entering the prompts you gave. I had to put f f: I was having problems with that, so I was thrilled to find them all there and unharmed.
time god you saved my life
thanks a lot
Registration date
Sunday January 3, 2016
Status
Last seen
January 5, 2016
Hi... I have a WD elements of which I tried to open it when the system prompted me with the following words:

"H: is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I had tried the suggestion of using "chkdsk /f h: --? enter"

The reply as below:

"The type of the file system is NTSF.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted."

What is wrong? I hope I can retrieve all the files inside the external HDD as I have plenty of important files and images inside. Thinking of losing all of them makes me sad. :(

Hope someone can shed some light on this matter.
Nanduni
Registration date
Saturday April 30, 2016
Status
Last seen
April 30, 2016

Thank you very much. You saved my life.
Registration date
Friday April 10, 2015
Status
Last seen
August 30, 2015

I am running Windows 8. The command prompt comes up: C:\Users\Brenda> but, I am the administrator! What to do?
right click in cmd , is the way administrator mode