- Aug 10, 2014 at 04:07 AM
R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
- Oct 6, 2016 at 05:47 AM
I have a 1 and a half year old WD 1 TB hard disk which was giving great service. Recently, it has started showing errors and I really need to recover the data.

The laptop gives the sound notification when I plug it in, and also the "remove device safely" option gets enabled. But the drive does not get displayed on My Computer. I checked the device manager, and the hard disk is shown

The disk management shows the hard disk 1 as unknown and not initialized. I tried initializing it, but it shows I/O device failure.

Please help, as I really need to recover the data available on the hard disk before I format or ask for a replacement. Various data recovery software have been tried unsuccessfully (Ease US Data Recovery, Recuva, PC Inspector, Stellar Phoenix, Yodot Hard Drive Recovery, iCare Data Recovery)

1 reply

Ambucias
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
Aug 10, 2014 at 06:47 AM
I suggest that you may find this Kioskea How-to very helpful:

https://ccm.net/faq/26351-western-digital-hard-disk-not-being-detected
is it solved? I am getting the same problem.
Atoneapone
Registration date
Saturday January 23, 2016
Status
Last seen
January 23, 2016

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM
I had the same problem a year ago, and I just kept the WD 1TB My passport around for future data recovery attempts. I had the most luck with the software GetDataBack for NTFS (I'm using version 4.33). It was able to recovery about 50-60 % of the small files I cared about, mostly smaller than 200mb size files. Anything greater than that was not recoverable--which was ok since I had backups for most of them. But I lost some home videos. I was able to recover most of my home pictures and smaller sized videos, small 480p quality cartoon files, etc. But all of my large video files are essentially lost. I hope someone else has any other ideas before I try reformatting it. In the worst case, I am guessing reformatting will not fix it either, and it will become a dead hdd with nothing on it once we choose that option...So I am waiting for any better ways to recover files before trying that as a final resort.
i got the same problem for WD external hard drive..
R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017
151 > kk
May 31, 2016 at 02:41 AM
Hi KK,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your WD hard drive. Could you tell me a little bit more about the problem?
I would recommend you to test the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. Do you have important data on the drive? Check if the drive is visible in Disk Management. Does it have a correct file format and a drive letter? If the drive has a drive letter, open the Command Prompt and type the command chkdsk L: /r
Replace L with the drive’s drive letter. You may need to wait some time before the process finishes. After that, try to access the data again. If you gain access to your files, backup all important data and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic from the link below.
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=3sBrKh
Do complete drive check. If the drive appears in bad condition and it has warranty, I would recommend you to get a replacement.

Hope this helps
Nits > R2D2_WD
Registration date
Monday September 1, 2014
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2017

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:43 PM
What options do I have if its not under warranty (Bangalore location)?