Computer Booting Issue

Closed
BrodaPhil Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday September 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2014 - Sep 23, 2014 at 12:01 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 24, 2014 at 08:07 AM
Hi, I am requesting a little help to solve a problem I have, I am rebuilding a gateway computer desktop manufactured in 9/17/02. Windows XP home Edition The hard drive worn out a few years ago and I bought a hard drive that is an exact replacement, and I try to set the jumpers, but when I put in a new had drive in the computer it and turns it on it does not boot up, the power supply seems to be on because the fans starts up and then after a while it shuts itself down, no output shows on the monitor. Can you help me with some ideas how I can get it to work?

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM
New hard drive take some "provisioning". You must partition the drive, format the partion, and mark the partiotion as bootable.

YOu may have to perform these tasks from DOS prompt outside of OS.

I hope you have completed these types of tasks before as it can be frustrating if you miss a step.

Let us know where you get stuck at.

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 24, 2014 at 08:07 AM
Hi there,
Are you trying to boot from the HDD? Do you have the OS installed on it? Are you trying to boot from the new drive or somehow connecting the new drive interrupts another one from booting?
Shutting down may not be connected directly to the HDD. Are you sure you are not facing any heating issue? Is the new drive visible in BIOS?

I am sorry I can not provide you with a possible solution right now, but I need those clarifications.