My External USB Hard Drive do not show up

Closed
Jerry1keer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday February 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 12, 2016 - Feb 7, 2016 at 10:33 AM
Jerry1keer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday February 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 12, 2016 - Feb 12, 2016 at 06:41 AM
Hello,

My External USB Hard Drive do not show up in Win 10 64bit, the day before every thing runs fine.
By plugging it in there is even no more that spacial plug in sound, you know. But if I plug or unplug my USB Mouse there is a Sound an my Mouse works fine!
I checked in Computer Management, Disk Management and Device Management, there is just nothing showing up about my External HD!
I made several Reboots with the External Hard drive plugged an unplugged, nothing happend...
I tray to make an update on the USB Driver but it say it is already the latest Version intalled.
Even when I try to plug my HD into the USB plug were my Mouse was plugged in, nothing happend... When I Plug back in my USB Mouse, the Mouse is woking fine!
Same thing for my USB Hub as for my 2 External Hard Drives...
The External Hard Drives are not working even without USB Hub, same for the USB Hub without Ext.HardDrives.
I dont know what else to do?
Any idea?
Thank you!
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 8, 2016 at 03:39 AM
Hi Jerry1keer,

You have done pretty good job, trying to troubleshoot the problem. I strongly recommend you to try the drive on another PC and with another USB cable. Do you have valuable data on the drive? Are there any noises coming from the drive and are there any LEDs that should be on when the drive is connected? Is the drive under warranty?

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply mr. R2D2_WD

I have tried with another data cable and also with another pc but I get the same noise and t shows me the led light but the I hear the noise again the light also gone. I hear noises from the drive yes. But the drive is not under warranty. Do you maybe know how to solve this problem?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Jerry 1keer
Feb 9, 2016 at 03:33 AM
Could you describe those noises as scratching noises or are they more like tac-tac-tac? Sadly, it is possible that the drive has failed. It is really hard to tell you why this happened, but if there is a physical problem, it would be almost impossible to repair the drive. If you have importation data stored on it, try accessing the drive after booting from a Linux Live CD. Sometimes it shows good results.
Jerry1keer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday February 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 12, 2016
Feb 11, 2016 at 06:58 PM
Thank you for your reply.
Yes the noise is like tac tac tac when the led light goes off. But when the light shows back then it drives normally but nothing is showing up. I have important data in my drive that's why i'm looking for help. You say something about booting from a Linux Live CD. How can I do that. And will it works because the drive is not showing up.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Jerry1keer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday February 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 12, 2016
Feb 12, 2016 at 03:28 AM
I cannot guarantee you that Linux will help, but there is a chance to give you enough access to save your data. Unix based systems sometimes respond in a better way when dealing with drives with some sort of problem.
You should search online for some version of Linux Live CD. They are free. Download it and do a bootable USB drive. There should be instructions on the Download page. Once the USB is ready, enter BIOS and change the Boot order, putting USB in first place. Restart again and plug the USB. The PC will boot into Linux. No installation is needed. Try accessing the drive.
I hope you will get your data back! If you cannot access the data, boot back in Windows and search for a data recovery software or a data recovery company.
Jerry1keer Posts 3 Registration date Sunday February 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 12, 2016
Feb 12, 2016 at 06:41 AM
Thank you. I will try it and will let you know soon