Ask a question Report

Not able to connect to internet by wireless [Solved/Closed]

venky - Latest answer on Oct 8, 2012 08:43AM
Hello,
i am not able to connect to internet by wireless but i can connect through ethernet cable, i am having a dell inspiron 1525 laptop with vista as os
Read more 
Answer
+115
moins plus
I had a similar problem with a brand new Inspiron 1525; it just refused to recognise any wireless networks.

The solution was to remove (Uninstall) the Dell WLAN Management software this removes the device as well. Then Reinstall the wireless card with the Drivers ONLY. (It seems the DELL software doesn't work properly with the DELL branded network card in a DELL Laptop; go figure)
When you download the driver it will unzip and try to install automatically; but this will only reinstall the offending software again, so you must cancel the installation after you unzip the file.
When I searched for new hardware again it found the device as a Broadcom wireless card but could not install the drivers. This allows you to click Update Drivers and point to the 'drivers' folder in the location that the files were unzipped to. Once the device driver alone is installed the wireless card works immediately and finds any available networks.

wirelesshelper- Jan 15, 2009 07:22PM
Hey.

i had the same problem as you i did what some one said up the post which was to update the router time all i did was tick save day light changes and then my wireless was enabled.

this happened because i upgraded my firmware and every thing was set on default the router was netgear dg834gt it was located in the schedule tab hope this helps
Traci- Apr 21, 2009 03:03PM
I had the same problem with my new Dell 1525. Dell online support updated the drivers and checked a bunch of other stuff. Still couldn't get wireless after an hour online with him. He suggested i do a PC restore which i wasn't too stoked about doing.
Weird thing happened, after he logged off I was able to find my wireless connections.
He did something! Maybe the new drivers?
Anyway, I'm happy to have wireless now. I still don't any response from hitting the wireless button on my keyboard which is weird. I get to wireless from the start menu.
Nivi- Mar 4, 2010 05:32PM
Heyy I just reinstalled my but for some reason i can't see any wireless connection can you pls help me
Deepika- Apr 4, 2010 01:20PM
Hello techguy! Whoever you are, thank you SO much! You were spot on. I did exactly what you've written here and it solved half the problem. After following your steps, I also did the following (which I found on another site), and then voila! Thank you so much once again, I wish I could thank you personally!

Steps after techguy's steps:
Go to the Device Manager. Double click on the Dell Wireless (1390/1490/1500) Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card device. The properties dialog should appear. Click on the Advanced tab. Look for Antenna Diversity under the Property. Change the value to Aux. Hit ok. Then try and reconnect to your WIFI connection. By changing this you should see your access point and be able to connect to it.
rajeev- Oct 8, 2012 08:43AM
you have to change the settings of your modem so that it can work for wifi. i had the same issue but i configured my modem and now i am able to connect to internet wirelessly.
Answer
+46
moins plus
if u guys cannot see any networks...then it could be an issue with services in ur pc....like Network connections...and wireless zero configuration.....these 2 services needs to have status: STARTED and type: AUTOMATIC
u can open services window by clicking on START button and then click on RUN....and in the OPEN box typer...
SERVICES.MSC....and click OK
it gives list of services

beth9- Oct 29, 2009 07:31PM
I have an Inspiron 1525, my power went out and it was not connected to a surge protector.Now the wireless says its connected and working, but when i click on the internet it says server not found,It does the same thing when connected to Ethernet. I download a new driver but that didnt fix the problem. any ideas? I've tried everything i could think of.
jaypee- Jun 24, 2010 06:31PM
OMG! HP Tech, I want to Thank You so much! I have spent 8 hrs practically speaking with Dell(Latitude D610) Belkin (router), Clearwire(Internet Provider), Linksys(Network Adapter) while being on my HP Desktop searching for answers in between calls and YOUR answer worked for me! My daughter has a Dell 1525 and it has been fine with the Belkin but last night I pulled out the ole Latitude and couldn't connect. I JUST HAVE TO TELL YOU, YOU HAVE SAVED MY FAMILY LIFE because dealing with this all day has put me in such a sour mood my plan was to get in the bed without cooking dinner! :) Kudos to you!!
Answer
+20
moins plus
I have recently had my computer repaired it needed xp to be reinstalled. I had no problem with connecting to the wireless internet before ther repair but now, I am asked for a network key. What does that mean?

Answer
+15
moins plus
I have this problem at the moment, but I've been using the router for about a year, and this morning all of a sudden there was no internet, and my laptop said there are no networks available, even though I get 5 when I try with my iPod Touch... I tried most of the things mentioned here, but none of them seem to help.. Could it be my network card is fried..?

Cheers

hano- Nov 12, 2009 10:24PM
I have problem to find the list of internet connection where to find them and how to solve it.
the small window where I decided to connect my laptop.
I need step by step instruction please because the wireless connections a bit complicated for me.
How to remove automatic connection from my laptop and have new one with good strenght.
Thanks for all.

Hano
asant- Jan 22, 2010 08:11PM
Same thing, my iTouch detects my laptop doesnt
geeker- Jun 4, 2011 12:05AM
try turning the wireless device on thru ur laptop. u probably accidentally hit the off button. i dont know where urs is on ur computer but its either usually a buttion on the laptop frame OR like alt f4 or something like that. look at the keys ull find it.. if thats not it then ur adapter can be messed up. try reinstalling it.. if it is fried and u still want wireless get urself a wireless pci card or usb adapter.. enjoy!
Answer
+11
moins plus
i had this problem - the laptop could see the router but would not connect with or without security - have been at my wits end until i solved the problem today by changing the date on the router firmware page/email to my correct time zone and daylight savings time - hope this helps you too - im using netgear wnr834b and dell laptop running vista

Veb- Jul 13, 2009 04:28PM
Hi deve807, i badly need a firewire for Windows vista. I have a stationary pc, and when i try to search for connections i cant find any and i sit right next to my wireless router. Do i need to uptade or download another firewire (thing) ?
MCH1234- Feb 19, 2010 02:56PM
I need a step by step if possible? I have the same wireless and computer as you. How do you change the date? :) thankyou
deve807- Mar 26, 2010 08:31PM
hi t
he router address is on the router itself along with the default nameand password
you will need to use the ethernet cable if you cannot find your router wirelessly
once connected by cable open an browser window and type in the router address which will either be numbers or a net address eg http://192.168.0.1
enter name and password when prompted - if you have lost it you might need to reset your router to factory default
in left hand side menu go
content filtering
email
set time zone and ensure it is correct
apply and logout - then try connecting wirelessly
it worked for me
hope it helps
A happy mother****er- Jun 10, 2010 11:48PM
Thanks a bunch. This was eating at me for days and surprisingly changing my day light savings options helped. Thank you. Only wish those settings would change automatically.
kodsta- Jun 18, 2010 03:00PM
i have a dell inspiron 14, and when i click to connect to my wireless internet it doesn't give me the option to enter a security key. it goes right to troubleshooting. what do i do ?
Answer
+3
moins plus
you will have to check how to change the date/page in your router manual - if you havent got one connect using wired connection and download it from your router manefacturer site
with my netgear router i used the login written on the router itself (using a wired connection to the router as i couldntr access it wirelessly) from my browser toolbar
if you dont know the name and password use the default one also written on the router - then i clicked on the email option in the menu on the left and altered the date on that page
hope that helps

Answer
+3
moins plus
Go to the store that you buyed the laptop and ask them whats going on . If they say they don't know then ask if they can ask the person who made it and they might fix it for you.

Answer
+3
moins plus
ha

ok im having the same promblem when im connecting wirelss itsays im connected but wont let me browse the internet

Answer
+2
moins plus
if u r unable to connect to wireles , 1st of all connect with a lan cable and if its wrking fine , then just access the router page which will be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in most cases and when in router page just change the ssid name (which is also the network name) in basic and save and also change the wep key in security to wep 64 bits and give any 10 digit all numerical no in network key 1 and save and next step would be to remove the existing networks in your network connections one by one until there are no networks and once all the networks are removed then search for new networks again and now u will get the new network name in the networks option and when u connect to this network u will be asked for a key and give the key and voila! u will be connected wirelessly......plz reply if this works or not as this worked for me ......

Answer
+2
moins plus
I use a Dell Inspirion 1300 and I cannot connect to wireless internet. When I right-click it reads "disabled, shared" or when I click enabled, it reads "not connected". Please help! I'm at my wits end.

Answer
+1
moins plus
deve807 I'm sure I am having the same problem and your solution will fix it because it only started not connecting after the time change but how exactly do I change the date/time on the router firmware page? Any help would be great.

computer angel- Dec 22, 2008 06:22AM
i have the drivers. are you still needing them.
Radhi- Jan 27, 2009 06:05AM
hi...computer angel..pls send me the latest network driver urgently.m having DELL laptop Inspiron 1525..pls help me!!!!
casner69- Jul 12, 2009 04:16PM
i can help u with your computer work nething u need. just add me on yahoo messanger
Albert computer angel - Dec 20, 2009 07:52PM
Hi.. Please help.. I'm using dell inspiron 1525 running vista os. I can connect to wireless network but i cannot access the internet!!!!! Help me fix this poblem.. Thank u.
deve807- Mar 26, 2010 08:32PM
hi the router address is on the router itself along with the default nameand password
you will need to use the ethernet cable if you cannot find your router wirelessly
once connected by cable open an browser window and type in the router address which will either be numbers or a net address eg http://192.168.0.1
enter name and password when prompted - if you have lost it you might need to reset your router to factory default
in left hand side menu go
content filtering
email
set time zone and ensure it is correct
apply and logout - then try connecting wirelessly
it worked for me
hope it helps
Answer
+1
moins plus
If the power goes off to your router, all the little knobs and buttons are likely to reset. In such cases, wire works but wireless doesn't.

Open up the router by typing 192.168.2.1 on your browser. I don't use a password on my router. Check all the little things you can look at and make sure they look right. Go to the tab or button that says, "clients" and see how many clients there are. If you have a working computer wired to the router, you should see at least one client.

When troubleshooting wireless problems, always turn off the WEP or WAP key until you can see your laptop on the client list.

With your key turned off, if your laptop won't connect, make sure the network switch is turned on and also try to make sure your laptop will connect to some unsecured (or secured) network, possibly a friend's.

If it still doesn't work, go back to the router and pull the power plug. Leave it unplugged for at least two minutes. This will reset the router to defaults, however, your wired system will still work. Enter the router and make sure it is set to work with wireless by typing 196.168.2.1 on your browser.

Most virus checkers will block wireless, so if all else fails, turn off the firewall. If the laptop connects, you will have to consult the AV guys for a fix.

If none of the preceding hints and these hints don't work, you will need to have someone go inside your laptop and check the settings, particularly that the proper protocols are installed and that the wireless receiver is turned on at the system level. Any computer savvy kid can do this.

Answer
+1
moins plus
can u tel me how o unblock site with change router seeting s ? co zi have joip i wnat to used this voip phone www.joip.com this site not workign and i connect my phoenm with router the builtin software go in this website i open this site in my pc its not open shows network error but all sites in working plz help me usman_munawer@hotmail.com i am waiting ur reply thankxx

Answer
+1
moins plus
hello all, i have tried everything that might work but still would not connect to wireless router.
can someone please help me? i have a dell inspiron 1525 and using window vista please and tahnks

L*E*D- Oct 28, 2009 03:23AM
Hello, have you change the channels of your router???? maybe it has a high channel and your lan card only admit from 1 to 12.... try to change the setup of your router and put a lower channel, try the 1 or the 2.
i hope that this will solve your problem
Answer
+1
moins plus
i had same problem with my inspiron 1525 when i instaled windows 7 i got signal bit cant connect with my wifi.
the problem was in the setting of wifi in the routeur setting page. i found "" adress filter mac"" actived i disactive it and i got the conection.
hope its help u and excuse my bad english.

rmz- Mar 3, 2010 04:26PM
heeden, your were right

I was struggling with my gf's dell mini (with XP) for days figuring out the issue with wireless connections. I turned off the MAC address filters and I finally got connected.

Before I updated drivers, tried switching of the WLAN service in the Admin Tools, all kinds of weirdness (and the system was in Spanish of which I know sheit, so that only helped) and nothing.

So definitely switching the MAC address filters OFF can help!!

Thanks guys,
Answer
+1
moins plus
I had the same problem. I would try to connect and it would fail. When I tried using the troubleshooter it was worthless and found nothing wrong. I was finally able to get it working by opening the Open Network and Sharing Center from the system tray (click on the antenna strength icon). From there I right-clicked on my networks SSID (the name you give your network) and selected "Properties". Then I re-entered my security password and changed the encryption scheme from AES to TKIP. I don't know if that will work for you, but it did for me.

Answer
+0
moins plus
i have a dell studio and i will not connect to my network at all corded or wireless and i have a ps3, itouch and i have no problem with them and i cant figure it out .

sudhansu- Jan 26, 2009 07:49AM
Guys

I have been struggling for quite some time to sort this VPN setup on Wireless. Sometime my lan used to work for VPN and sometimes not. But I was more interested to set it up right for Wireless.

On changing the TRANSPORT on the VPN connection with"Enable transport tunneling option on UDP" VPN connection and access to office network worked fine.

Nani- Feb 21, 2009 04:03PM
Hai I have some problem with my internet connections.. My laptop I am able to connect to interent both lan and wireless from office but am not able to connect at home. what could be the reason. please help me to solve this issue.
pongjong_04- Apr 27, 2010 04:02AM
where to go if my wifi is lost or off??
Answer
+0
moins plus
my friend had the same problem. If you have a lever like thing on the bottom-right side of your computer, try pushing that up while connecting to the network you want. If it then connects to the network, tape the lever into the up position(scotch tape works, duct tape recommended)

Answer
+0
moins plus
hey,
Guys i have dell 1545 with xp. I haven't any wireless connection but i want
to connect my laptop with wireless signal from outside. Have any idea?
my mail Email id removed for security
Thanks

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thanks to who ever suggested setting the date and time zone on the router. We had no problem with wirelessly connecting laptops with XP but VISTA laptops could not connect until we properly set the date and timezone on the online setup of our Belkin N router. We were about to spend $80 for a router supplied by COX to get the support we needed. I am so surprised that none of the support people we talked to from work, Belkin and COX suggested this simple fix. Thank you to all those who use these forums and especially to those who respond.

1 2 Next
This document entitled « Not able to connect to internet by wireless » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.