Sharing documents between two computers [Solved/Closed]

sue - Jul 13, 2008 at 06:49 AM - Latest reply:  yuvi
- Jun 28, 2013 at 08:40 AM
Hello,
I am having trouble connecting my laptop, which is a dell, and my pc, which is microsoft, together I want to be able to share documents in between the two for my work instead of having to e-mail all the documents to the other computer
See more 

39 replies

Best answer
Thank you
How to set up a network between two computers?

1. Connect the crossover Ethernet cable to the LAN (RJ45) ports of both the PCs.

PC - 1:

- Go to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the Computer Name to A and Workgroup name to ABC and click OK to save changes.
- Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
- Right click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties.
- Enter these values:
IP Address - 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
- Leave the other fields blank and click OK to save changes.

PC - 2:

- Go to My Computer > Properties > Computer Name.
- Change the Computer Name to B and Workgroup name to ABC and click OK to save changes.
- Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
- Right click on your LAN connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties.
- Enter these values:
IP Address - 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
- Leave the other fields blank and click OK to save changes.
- - -
After the connections and settings have been saved, both the PCs should be connected by LAN. You may need to restart both the PCs.

You can check if the connection is working by pinging one PC from the other.

For PC-1, Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.2
For PC-2, Start > Run > CMD > ping 192.168.0.1

You can view the PCs in My Network Places. You can now use this LAN connection to play multiplayer games or share files. You can also map a drive on another PC to a local drive by using My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive > Select Drive Letter and network path of the shared folder on the other PC

Thank you, Sam 61

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1692 users this month

thankzz..
sir watn to share drive F how I can do so
so help ful
i want to connect internet also
thanks sam.......
MagicMarkie - Jul 21, 2008 at 01:04 AM
Thank you
Hi Sue,

Hello,
I am having trouble connecting my laptop, which is a dell, and my pc, which is microsoft, together I want to be able to share documents in between the two for my work instead of having to e-mail all the documents to the other computer

You mention that you have two computers and are able to use email on both PC's. This tells me that you have internet access to both PC's. You don't mention if you are using Dial-UP on both PC's, or if you are using a Broad-Band hook-up, like Cable, or DSL. If you are using a Broad-Band setup, and have both PC's plugged into either a Cable or DSL Modem, or a Router, you would already have a simple network. All you would have to do is enable SHARING on both PC's (you mentioned you are using XP - on both PC's ??). After enabling SHARING, you would just need to share at least ONE Folder on EACH PC, and, (as long as both PC's are turned on & running), you would be able to access the Shared Folder on PC(a) from PC(b), thus eliminating the need to email back & forth between them. You could also share the entire Hard Disk Drives, on both PC's... This is ok to do, if this simple Network is used just by you. If other's will be using your "private network", then you wouldn't want to share your entire Hard Disk Drives, as you would have ALL of your info open to all users.

I can elaborate on how to enable all of this and help you. First though, I need to know how you are connecting your Laptop and your PC, to the Internet.

You can either respond here and I'll give you the answer, or you can email me at Email Id removed for security
I will be happy to assist you with setting up sharing on a home "Network".

Mark
Email Id removed for security
Hollywood(Country Boy) - Feb 21, 2009 at 01:26 PM
Dear sir,
I very happy to write you this letter, first of all how are you doing,i hope by the grace of the almight God you are doing well.
My aim of writting you this letter is that, I am a young man of 22years old who want to learn about networking.
I have two computer at home I want to share information from one computer to another but I dont know how to go about it. the problem is that one computer CD-ROM DRVE does not work. and more over if I used pen Drive it will be infected by virus so I decieded to go in for net-work cable but I dont know how to do it. so please sir I really need your help.
Yours faithfully
Christian Bendey
Hi, I have a Broad Band internet connection through ADSL2+ Modem with one PC,But I want to share my file and folder with another PC.Pls give me more information.
our PCs connected with a coaxial cable and we using the internet via a modem.I wanna to access other computers files on my PC please tell me in detailed(written).Thanks for have this
please tell me how share the systems .to be very cleatr
hi I have trouble on connecting more than two Pc for file sharing and gaming, by using hub or switches..