I want to create a 2nd set of recovery Discs [Solved/Closed]

Tauqir Ahmad - Sep 10, 2009 at 02:54 PM - Latest reply:  az
- Nov 9, 2012 at 07:50 PM
Hello,
I have recently purchased a brand new laptop (HP Compaq Presario CQ61-100EE). Now I want to create a second set of Recovery DVDs cuz first ones are not working. So can I use this Second Recovery Creating technique For HP Users Only?????? ON my HP Compaq laptop? Oh yeah I have Windows Vista Home Basic On that laptop of Mine....any help will be greatly appreciated.
See more 

13 replies

Best answer
Thank you
Try this:

Created your HP restore /recovery discs, and for some reason need to create a second set?

Lost /damaged, etc?

Use windows search
(include hidden files and folders, show known file extensions)

Search for the following file: hpcd.sys

There will be 2 copies,1 in C:\WINDOWS\SMINST and 1 in E:\

Just rename them to .bak and you can use the HP PC Recovery disc creater again.

Thank you, saqlain 35

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1260 users this month

Thank you
I have new HP Pavlion dv6-2005ax.
hpcd.sys not working because that changed to hpdrcu.prc,
search and delete all hpdrcu.prc file. It is worked well for me.
I want to creacte another recovery disc. because ordered recovery disc is not as same as that recovery disc created from my computer.
hp ordered recovery disc take more time to recover the OS than my recovery disc.
Thank you
I want to make the 2nd set of disks for my HP compaq CQ61 Laptop, I never formated my Laptop. My first set were destroyed by my son. whenever I try to make another set I get the message that I have already made the disks please help me to make another set.

regards
sharpman 1023 Posts Saturday May 23, 2009Registration dateContributorStatus October 20, 2010 Last seen - Sep 11, 2009 at 06:22 PM
Thank you
Try this option,
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43725.exe

iDescription:
This package provides the USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility for the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. This utility copies the orginal factory recovery image from the Recovery Partition to a USB flash disk that can be used to recover the notebook/laptop to its original state.

or, ghost as you have suggested, but that will make a copy of your system with any problems it may have as of now.

Try the usb flash utility, may work.
Tauqir Ahmad - Sep 10, 2009 at 05:30 PM
Thank you
First of All Thankx. I did but a message Appeared "You already Created a Set So Its Not Possible for you now to create another"
Thank you
Removing the hpcd.sys file from the Recovery partition and Windows partition worked for me.
sharpman 1023 Posts Saturday May 23, 2009Registration dateContributorStatus October 20, 2010 Last seen - Sep 11, 2009 at 05:49 AM
Thank you
yes, it looks like you may be out of luck then. what's wrong with the first set?
sharpman 1023 Posts Saturday May 23, 2009Registration dateContributorStatus October 20, 2010 Last seen - Sep 10, 2009 at 04:35 PM
Thank you
give it a go, don't see why not, unless there is a flag set when the first set was created.
Tauqir Ahmad - Sep 11, 2009 at 12:37 PM
Thank you
LOL!!! Yeah my nephew created those sets for me but I am out of luck now. Those DVD's have Cylindrical errors (Read error). So I am now in the middle of no where......may be Norton Ghost will work what do u think?????
sharpman 1023 Posts Saturday May 23, 2009Registration dateContributorStatus October 20, 2010 Last seen - Sep 13, 2009 at 02:34 PM
Thank you
ok update dude.

download this from microsoft
http://download.microsoft.com/...

it's software that helps you create an image of your computer. instructions are on the dvd that is created after you've downloaded it.

hope this helps.
Tauqir Ahmad - Sep 17, 2009 at 02:11 PM
Thank you
Thankx
Thank you
This doesn't work with Vista Home Premium...although both files do exist exactly where you indicated, but even after a reboot it still say's 'recovery disks for this computer have already been created...'
Thank you
hey dude, I downloaded USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility but it also says that recovery set has already been created and I won't be able to create another one.

Plz Guys, someone tell me how do I Create a recovery disc for HP pavilion dv4 (windows Vista home premium).. the old recovery disc is unknown to me so I need a new set of it.

i do have a factory shipped recovery section on my hard drive but I want it on external device like dvd or flash drive so that I can use it later..

any help on it will be appreciated plz plz plz